Chapter 13: Everyone Is Running From Something

The cops interviewed everyone at the bonfire. They were clueless as to who would hurt Ana.

But I knew. I got the message loud and clear. Jason was here and he's killing.

I refused to talk to anyone about what happened. I just shook my head yes or no when a cop asked me something.

Dylan and Andy haven't left my side since discovering the body. Dylan was probably worried about how I would react after seeing such a horrific sight. Andy probably just wanted to make sure I didn't tell Dylan that I had seen this before. Or maybe she thought the sight would have made me want to open up to her. Either way, I hadn't spoken to either one of them.

Ben showed up and collected me without any words. He knew what was going through my mind.

"Don't blame yourself," he said softly as I stared out the window.

"Why not?" I questioned, "I brought Jason here."

"If it wasn't him, it would be someone else. It just so happens that your beast found food first," he stated. I cringed inwardly at the gruesome metaphor.

"Sarah gave you my file, right?" he shook his head in response, "Good. Then you know what comes next. Every one dies."

He stayed silent after that. He had to accept the inevitable just like me.

Jason was here. The only smart play I had was to run, but I didn't want to. Normal life had actually started to grow on me. I hadn't realized how much I wanted to stay here until I saw Ana's body and I knew I was going to be forced to leave.

Can't say Jason doesn't have perfect timing. The moment I settle in, find happiness in the smallest thing, he is there to take it away.

Ben pulled the police cruiser up in front of the house and walked me in.

Elizabeth was sitting in the living room watching me closely as I closed the door. I took one look at her sullen face and it broke me.

I ran up to my room and shut the door, locking in. The rest of the night, I balled my eyes out.

How could I be so stupid to think I could have normal once again?

*****

School on Monday dragged on. Everyone was talking about Ana.

From what I overheard from others, she was kind. The type of person people flock to when they are in trouble. A beacon of light and it's my fault the light was put out.

I stood at my locker as I watched people put notes and light candles under Ana's locker across the hallway. I hadn't even noticed Andy walk up to me.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"We are having a meeting after school today. I think it would be a good thing to have us all talk about what happened."

"Ok."

"Will you come?" she asked hesitantly.

"Sure. The only time I had talked to Ana was there. For her, I'll come."

"I'll see you after school," With that she walked away. She seemed to have lost her spirit as well.

I shut my locker softly and turned back to the small memorial created for Ana.

I'm sorry, I thought and turned around to walk to class.

*****

The room was dead with grief. The silence felt could cut steel in two.