Chapter 9: The SIN Club (Safety In Numbers)

Picture of Josh and Daniel

*****

Confusion filled my mind. I just stood there staring around the room. Questions dominated my thoughts. How could all these kids be in the program? Why would the government keep them so close together? Why would they make a club to declare themselves as broken?

"I know you're really confused right now. Probably got a million questions running through your head," I shook my head in agreement, too nervous to speak, "Trust me we have all thought the same questions you have."

"How is this even possible?" I stuttered.

Andy's expression turned morose as she gestured to an empty chair, "Sit down and we can explain."

I hesitantly took my seat as each person continued to watch my movements. Almost as if they were waiting for me to explode or combust with the sudden news.

"We have all been placed under the protection of the government. Like you, we have spent a good portion of our lives bouncing around with different identities and new places. Always hoping that the people who want to kill us are never successful in finding us," she started, "We created this club as a sort of safe haven for us to come and be able to talk to someone about our pasts."

"But how did you know about me? I'm guessing you don't just assume every new kid that walks through the door is a protective."

"Most of the adults in the town are Marshalls. There are a few in the school that we can talk to. Your worker, Sarah, she thought this might be a good idea for you to join."

"You know Sarah?" I questioned, trying to absorb the information given to me. The town is full of Marshalls and other security measures. Hundreds of witness protection families and teens were living here and no one noticed a thing.

"Yeah. She was with me when I first came in two years ago," Andy said.

"So let me get this straight. You are all in the witness protection program, being hunted down by who knows who, and this town is a secret hiding place. Did I get that right?"

Everyone in the room gave a little laugh as a small smile took over Andy's features, "That pretty much sums it up, if you're trying to put it bluntly."

"And you guys just decided to create a club to what? What is the purpose of exposing yourselves like this?" I snap.

"We aren't exposing anything. This is our-let's call it a support group. It's meant to be somewhere for us to talk about the events in our lives that brought us to this point. Share the secrets we have been keeping for who knows how long," Andy argued.

"We don't see this as a danger," Josh said.

"This might be a good thing for you, Silver. You wanted answers to your questions. There is no matter place to get them than from these people. They have been here a lot longer than either of us," Elizabeth spoke up.

I just sat there without saying any words back. It makes sense to be here, but I'm not willing to speak about my past. The past is the one place that terrifies more than anything else. Remembering is reliving that fear all over again.

"Why don't we start a discussion like usual and you can just sit and listen. See how you can benefit from this," Andy said.

They went around the room and began to recant some of their stories. Josh and Daniel were involved with a drug dealer a couple years back and were set to testify in a year. One kid was a victim of a sexual assault and the cops still hadn't caught the perpetrator. There were a few that were just witnesses to crimes. Most were drug related.

"Silver, would you like to share something?" a girl named Ana asked. The room silenced and everyone looked at me once more.

"No," the lack of emotion evident in my voice.

"Are you sure?" Andy tried to coax me into talking, "Just tell us something. Like how long have you been in the program for?"

"At least four years now," my voice even and unwavering.

They tried to hide the shock written clear as day on their faces, but I caught it too quick. No one had similar stories as mine. From what I've gathered, many had just started the program or been in it for only a year or two. I was never set to testify or even hope that the person was caught. I just hoped that he would never find me.

"What are you running from?" Elizabeth whispered, the sound barely audible.

"I have to go now," I said as I grabbed my stuff and made a bee-line for the door.

Andy tried to stop me, but I just kept moving and didn't look back till I was in my car and driving away.

How could they all think that talking would help the nightmares I endure every time I close my eyes? They are crazy to believe that this town was safe. Putting so many of us in the same place isn't secure, it's painting a giant neon sign saying, Here we are! Come and kill us!

Tempting killers with their most needed prey is a massacre waiting to happen, and I'm not waiting around here for that day to come. I'm getting the hell out of this town.

*****

*(Unknown POV)*

The street was eerie with the sound of night finally setting in. The glow of the moon illuminated the buildings around her, while the fog rolled over the town bringing a ghostly chill to her skin. She rounded the corner to the back alley where her car was parked. With every quickened step, the clicking of high heels echoed off the building.

The echo brought my lovely closer and closer into my limited view.

The sound of her shoes covered my soft rubber squeak of me coming up behind her. She stopped suddenly as I got closer to the one I have been hunting for so long.

She whirled around to see who it was; not expecting what was coming next. She stared into my cold dead eyes as the icy blade slid across her jugular. Her body collapsing under her as she held her throat to stop the flowing of blood.

I turned my head slightly to the right as I watch the life drain from her eyes.

Slowly bending down, I wiped the blood off the knife on her jacket and walked back into the night.