Chapter 25: Rose POV

And that's how I found myself in the clinic. Again.

"So, Rose," said Dr. Olendzki cheerfully, "what can I do for you today?"

"Well, Um." I frowned. "You see..."

She looked at me oddly. "Yes, Rose? What's troubling you?"

"I..." I growled, running my hands through my hair in frustration.

"She's fainted twice in the past 24 hours." Dimitri said helpfully, giving my hand a squeeze. "And this morning, when she regained consciousness, she vomited."

I squeezed his hand in return. "Thanks, Comrade." I said sheepishly.

"I see." Dr. Olendzki frowned. "Any other symptoms?"

"No." I said, sure of myself now. "Well, other than being really, really tired."

"Excuse me," Sydney spoke up, "can I speak with you for a moment, doctor? I have some ideas."

"And you are?"

"Sydney Sage, Ma'am. I'm an alchemist."

"Yes, I can see that." She still looked puzzled.

"Abe Mazur – "

"My father." I cut in.

"Right. Anyway, he asked me do a bit of analysis on some ice cream we had ordered in last night, and..." Her voice faded as she drew Dr. Olendzki out of the room.

"I can't be pregnant." I scowled at my toes as I sat on the hospital bed Dr. Olendzki had motioned me towards as she wandered off with Sydney. My legs swung back and forth irritably. "I mean, I've only over had sex with you." I looked up at Dimitri suddenly, panic flooding my eyes. "You believe me, right? I'd never do that to you – "

"Hush, my Roza." he said softly, scooting closer to me and wrapping his arms tightly around me. "Of course I believe you."

"But..." I nervously wrapped a strand of hair around and around my finger. "I mean, what Sydney said... It can't be possible. Can it?"

He frowned.

"And even if it were," I rushed on. "I mean, it's not like we've even done it that many times. And... I'm not even 18 yet. I mean, I almost am, but still. I'm not ready. And I don't even know if I want kids. I mean, yeah, you do. And you'd be a great dad. And I'd love to be able to give you that, but, but I'm not sure I want that. But that's selfish. Is that selfish? I mean, what kind of life would we have, with both of us guardians? And I never knew my parents. What would I know of being one myself? And – "

"Shhh. Roza." He put his finger over my lips, halting the flow of words. "We don't know anything yet. That's why we're here at the clinic. And..." he paused, choosing his words carefully. "...And if we do find out that you're pregnant, then we'll take it from there. And no matter what you might think, I know that you would be a wonderful mom."

I snorted. "Really, Comrade?"

"Really, Roza. Just look at how you take care of Lissa."

"That's hardly the same thing!"

"Isn't it?"

Dr. Olendzki returned just then. "OK Rose," she said cheerfully, "you know the drill. I just need to run some tests." I looked away as she poked her needle into me and quickly drew some blood. "Then, if you don't mind, Sydney and I will run some more analysis and do some research while we wait for results. There, that should do it." She quickly affixed a band-aid and then patted my arm. "You don't have to stick around here – why don't you take a walk out in the gardens out back? I'll have Sydney fetch you when we're ready for you."