We Meet Semi-Formal

Start from the beginning

"Etiquette is treating people politely and with respect," Farkle says.

"Then why don't you use it," I mutter.

"Okay, so... The school board sent me this film. It's called, 'He asked me, he asked me, he really asked me'",

"This is supposed to teach us how to act at the dance?" Lucas asks.

"They sent it. I'm showing it. You're animals."

"Oh, there's a dance, and you're planning to attend this dance that you never mentioned in my general vicinity, that dance?" Riley asks him sarcastically.

"Actually, I wanna talk to you about that-"

"Psst. Talk after class," Cory demands.

"Have you no sense of anything?" I chuckle.

"Nope. Let's watch." as the video drones on one line catches our attention.

"Now, let's meet your best gal, Sally, who, since you're a gentleman, you asked to the dance at least 10 months in advance," the narrator says.

"Billy gets it!" Riley shouts.

"I second that!" I say.

"Billy's dead, and all of his friends are dead too. Except one. No, wait, now he's dead too," Maya says.

"It does seem like relationships are a little more complex now than they were in the 1950s,"

"You're one to talk," I say.

"Idina-"

"I'm sorry I'm trying to watch an educational film," I say putting up my hand.

"I just wanna be asked to the dance," Riley mumbled.

"I second that," I repeat as the video still plays.

"-Because everybody knows the semi-formal is the dance that determines the rest of your life,"

"How are you enjoying the picture show, Sally?" Maya asks Riley.

"Life is so much simpler in black and white," Riley replies with a sigh. The picture's finally stop rolling.

"Yikes," our teacher says with a shiver, "Okay. So, can anyone here tell me if they possibly learned anything from that?" Riley turns to Lucas while I turn to Farkle.

"Yes. Time to make some choices, Billy," she jabs.

"Simple enough for you, Billy?" I add, making them both just stare blankly at each other, "Ugh, boys," I huff, turning back around in my chair.

FRIDAY

It's lunch time as I slam my locker shut.

"You know what? I'm done waiting for Farkle," I say to my friends.

"What-" before they can finish I walk up to Brandon who stands by the vending machine.

"Brandon," he looks at me, "I'll go to the dance with you," wait, what am I saying? Before I can speak again to take it back he smirks.

"Good, I'll pick you up tomorrow night," he says, before walking over to his friend, Charlie. I walk over to Maya and Riley.

"What. Just. Happened?" I ask confused with my conflicting emotions.

"I think you're going to the dance with Brandon," Maya says. My mouth flies open. She pushes it shut. I simply sit on the bench.

"You gonna be okay Pookie?" Riley asks me.