Chapter Forty-Nine

Fiona

The girl was outside, in spite of the cold, Fiona's old sword in her hand. She watched as Karina slashed through the air, practicing against invisible opponents, parrying nonexistent attacks, oblivious to Fiona's intrusion. The girl's breath billowed out in front if her, white crystals of moisture like puffs of smoke. She looked so strong, so confident. Checks ruddy, face in earnest concentration, a frightening amount of spirit. She was a survivor. Perhaps for the first time, Fiona could see her daughter as she was, a proud young woman, beautiful, strong. And, in that moment of realization, she was struck by a heartbreaking sadness.

Fiona knew that she had no claim to this child, though Karina was of her own blood. She had only offered her cruelty and now, she might orphan her again. The girl didn't deserve it. Fiona wanted so much better for her. As she watched Karina behead invisible enemies, she felt the level of helplessness she had possessed in easing her daughter's way in life thus far, her impotence in protecting her from the real monsters she would soon face. Yet Fiona knew that she was doing all she could. That was why she had come after all.

As Fiona approached, the girl lowered her weapon instantly, a guilty look affixed to her face.

"Aren't you cold?" Fiona asked.

"Nita Amoral," Karina said, trying to both curtsy and awkwardly hide the sword at the same time.

"Um, no, Ma'am," she stumbled over her words. "I don't mind the cold. I've only been out here a short while anyhow."

"Your form is good," Fiona commented.

Karina was clearly surprised at the compliment. "Thank you," she said uncertainly.

Seeing her daughter's confidence falter in her presence Fiona again felt a wave of sorrow and guilt wash over her. She'd cultivated this fear. In her effort to keep her daughter safe, she had made herself a judgmental stranger in Karina's eyes.

"May I see that?" Fiona asked, extending her hand. The girl handed her the hilt of the weapon.

It had been some time since Fiona had held the sword Karina now weilded, having long exchanged it for one with a bit more weight and length, yet it was entirely familiar in her hands. Caleb had always claimed that swords had a life of their own and Fiona believed it. Holding the weapon she could feel the spirit of her own youth trapped within the steel along with that of her daughter. Fiona tested the blade, swinging it in a broad figure eight across her body as Karina watched in awe, though it was little more that a bit of showmanship.

. "You can fight?" she asked with surprise.

Fiona smiled and gave her a slight nod. "I used to train quite a bit in my younger years, but I cannot say I have much reason to handle a sword now," she answered, handing the weapon back without elaboration. "Karina, you must be a bit more careful to practice where other's can't see," Fiona said, but not in an overly chastising manner. "I'm certain Manna has told you that before." 

Karina nodded. "Yes, Ma'am."

"But I can tell you have quite a bit of talent," Fiona added.

Karina blushed slightly. "Thank you, Nita Amoral."

"And a very nice blade."

"It was my mother's," Karina said, beaming with pride. Fiona felt her own smile falter.

"Where is your teacher?" she asked, changing the subject. "I need to speak with her."

"She's out back I think," Karina, answered, "collecting firewood from the shed." Fiona nodded.