Chapter 44

We were greeted by a blonde woman who looked to be about mid-forties.

"Christine! Glad you came!" She smiled, pulling my mother into a hug.
"And you must be Gemma!" She smiled, doing the same to me.
"I've heard so much about you! All good things, all good things! I'm Elizabeth, but you can call me Liz."
"Nice to meet you, Liz." I smiled back before we entered her home.

"This is my husband Andrew and my eldest son Ben."
My mother and I shook both their hands before we heard another knock at the front door and Liz opened it to reveal my father.

He apologised for getting held up at work and greeted all three of the family members and we all sat down 'chatting' or whatever, in the livingroom while Andrew finished preparing dinner.

"Your home is massive, Liz." My mother commented in awe.
"Thank you, it just feels so empty now with the boys being so independent."
"I'm sorry," I interrupted, "boys?"
She nodded.
"I have two younger sons, they're on their way here right now."

Soon enough Andrew joined us in the front room. We were all sitting talking to Ben about his future plans when a set of headlights shone through the window.
"That'll be the boys now." Andrew spoke up.

In came one tall boy- well man, in jeans and a blue shirt. He gave Liz and Andrew a hug before turning to my family.
"Hi, I'm Jack. It's nice to meet you." He smiled and we all introduced ourselves.

He reminded me of someone but I couldn't quite figure out who, but I didn't have to figure it out. Because the person he reminded me of walked in wearing black jeans and a buttoned-down white shirt.
Luke.

"John, Christine, Gemma. This is Lucas."Liz smiled, gesturing to him as he made his way over to sit next to his brothers on the sofa.
"But you can call me Luke." He politely corrected.

"Dinner will only be a few minutes, boys." Liz said to Jack and Luke.
"Luke," Andrew called, "go set the table."
He immediately stood up to go.
"Gemma, honey. Go give him a hand." My mother said and I did so, I didn't want to, but my mum needed this night to go well so I followed Luke to the kitchen.

He handed me two plates and he lifted two knives, two forks and two glasses.
"Wait, why only two? Isn't there eight of us?"
"The adults eat in the dining room and since Jack and Ben are over twenty, we are essentially the 'kids' so we have to eat out here."
"That sounds kinda messed up." I laughed slightly.
"Believe me, it is. I've had to eat out here alone countless times because of my age."

Luke and I then set the dining room table which was definitely far nicer and fancier than the kitchen table.
We then told the adults we had set the table and Andrew escorted everyone, except Luke and I, to the table in the dining room.