Chapter 2

E R I C A

When did he become so good?

My brain was fuzzing about last night's game with Felix.

How did he win? I thought as I stuffed textbooks and stationary into my locker.

I brisk walked to my first class. I sat at my usual seat and began thinking about the strategy that would whoop his butt tonight.

I walked to my usual seat in the back. I noticed a girl with layered reddish-brown hair sitting on Persia's seat. Never seen her before. Must be new.

I looked to the door, here comes Persia. I watched as the new girl burned Persia. Because Persia is so scary (sarcasm), the new girl got up and left the seat.

Mr. Jones entered and I continued to plan the strategy that would successfully lead me to the ultimate victory. If possible, break the score record between us.

"Okay class, calm down." He said. He noticed the new girl and said, "You must be miss Miller? The new transfer?"

Ah. A new transfer.

"Yeah...yes sir." She said, trying to sound polite.

"Take a seat beside Erica, I suppose there's an empty space there."

My ears perked up. I everted my eyes to the girl and back to Mr Jones.

Well then. I accept the challenge of friendship.

She awkwardly walked to the seat beside me and plopped down heavily.

I tried a welcoming smile. "Hey, I'm Erica, your classmate as you already know." I held my hand out. "What's yours?"

"Uh, Katie Miler." She shook my hand. I noticed her palm was small and clammy. It was a bit sweaty as I shook her hand but I didn't mind it. Nervousness comes to me too.

Katie's a decent girl. She had reddish-brown hair with a small pink bow hairclip on the left side of her head, most likely to push aside her bangs. Her eyes were a beautiful shade of hazel with flecks of green around the pupils. She had long lashes that I always wanted my whole life.

I smiled one last time at her and turned to look at the board.

"Before I start the lesson, would miss Miller introduce yourself up here in front?" Mr Jones said.

A feet away from her and I can sense her nervousness. I guess she's the shy kind.

She walked to the front of the class-- back slouched, face looking down--

"Then, you'll have to take this unknown and add..." Mr Jones was explaining the examples of the equations in the new unit we'll be learning.

Me? Sitting at the last row of the classroom with a paper and pen.

You are probably thinking, "Woah she must be a good student, taking notes."

Oh sorry to disappoint.

I'm doodling.

And there is not even a single word about maths.

Unless you count the numbers.

I didn't have the mood for class as I lost three times a row to Felix last night during the game. I was always the one gaining victory, screaming around the room like I just saved the world.

Oddly, last night was different. Felix somehow came up with a new strategy and after every five minutes, BOOM, goes Erica lying on the cold and hard ground.

Okay, that was a little exaggerating.

I bet he gave me some pill or potion that swap minds and my intelligence was somehow transferred to his head last night. And yeah I got his stupidity and lost.

But, I'm not doodling any unicorns or band names on the paper. I'm a smart teenager who uses her time efficiently.

I'm planning out a new strategy for the game tonight. I'm so not losing to him again this time.

When I'm calculating the scores on each strategies, a knock on the door caught my attention. It was followed by an unfamiliar face. She was holding a pile of books, hmm probably a responsible student.
Well maybe not I carry books too just that I don't read them.

She has her pony tail tied up. High.

Mine? Oh it probably looks like scramble eggs. I don't care how I look as long as I feel comfortable.

This is when, thank goodness, Mr Jones stops his mumbling and turn the whole class' attention to the girl.

Oh.

Meh not like it's gonna change anything big in my life.

"......sit with Erica. I suppose there's an empty space there."

Wait what?

She's sitting beside me?

Great now I don't have to be so lonely.

Not that I'm a loner or anything.
I just like to have some privacy in my life.

Well I'm a kind hearted person and I don't want to ruin someone's day because she will be sitting beside me so I welcomed her with a warm smile.

I hope my smile isn't likea chesire cat's. That happened once. I scared the girl away. Luckily, I managed to pull off the warm-and-sincere smile. She smiled back.

I scanned her name tag like a spy.
Katie.

It's probably a good chance to get a friend.

Sitting all alone staring at the clock ticking is basically boring.

No, it's TORTURE.

Taking a last glance at her, I smiled to myself.

This was an indeed a golden opportunity.

Almost Perfect (Romance//humour)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara