Chapter 17: A Bitter Reality

Start from the beginning

Yet, the quiet, surreal moment ended as they reached their final destination. A room tucked away from the main hallways with plush sofas and chairs beckoning her weary body. With a single tap, she collapsed into a navy and beige high backed settee. She rolled onto her back, staring at the glass-enclosed starry domed sky. A shooting star passed by, drawing her eyes.

"Isla?" Layla said, snapping her trance.

Her gaze wandered downwards, landing on Layla's face. Her pale pink lips arched into a frown and a strand of hair curled against the flow. She hovered on the seat's edge, her back hunched.

"Isla, I'm sorry."

Isla stared at her sister, her sullen mood didn't waver. The words she spoke lacked impact. What was she sorry for?

The door nudged open as Linda joined them. Her gaze darted around, flickering between Isla and Layla. She shuffled to Layla's side, her body shifting from side to side.

"Isla, about Rein. I know this might come as a shock, but grandmother had her suspicions. We were prepared for his betrayal."

What shock? The words glissaded off like angel feathers on silk. No amount of pizazz could enliven her being.

"Earlier, we wanted to tell you, but the timing hadn't seemed right. Even if we did, our words could have been seen as a lie."

"And?" Isla spoke.

Linda intervened, quieting Layla with a hand to her shoulder. "His family was convicted of high treason and were sentenced to death. They conspired in the deaths of thousands of Arcadians. Rein's just another victim of our father."

"Doesn't shock me."

"It seems nothing does," Linda grumbled. "I thought you'd care. Wasn't he your friend?"

"He was my friend. But are you my sister?"

"You-"

"Linda, stop," Layla interrupted, throwing her hand up between her sisters. "She has all the reason in the world to hate and distrust us." Layla paused, clearing her throat. "Isla, this is the truth. You see, both Linda and I have a special gift—we're seers. We knew your arrival would be the spark."

Isla laughed. "So, let me get this straight, you both knew he'd betray me, and let it happen. You let him murder an innocent?"

Layla clenched the armrests and leaned forward. "Please understand, Isla. We planned no ill-will against you or that child. Even for us, our abilities aren't perfect. Predicting the exact moment and hoping the future wouldn't alter dramatically are impossible factors to overcome."

"We made steps," Linda added, "to prevent the kid from dying. They didn't work. He wasn't supposed to be there."

"You've made your point and your ineptitude apparent. What more do you both want?" Isla growled.

They exchanged heartfelt looks at their loss of purpose. She knew they wanted to reconcile, but the anguish and hate embedded within dominated her affection. Still, they bore no blame.

All the responsibility for pushing Rein to the brink lied with her. He revealed slivers of conflict. From his unrecognizable actions to his coward appearance, both revealed a turbulent undertone to his core. Yet, her unquestioning acceptance only bred ignorance and regret.

She sighed, rubbing her forehead. The skin on her hands bubbled and peeled.

"What's this pity party for?" Nirvana admonished as she strode into the room.

"Grandmother," Layla uttered.

"What child?"

"Rein's story—why does he side with father? There has to be more to it."