Three

Jim could understand if it was a few days. Some time to relax, analyze the situation, and plan out the approach. What he didn't like was how it was approaching two and a half weeks and Spock still hadn't so much as looked at Leonard. It was really grinding Jim's gears to say the least. So, naturally, he formulated a plan that would force them to at least communicate with each other.

That bond needed to grow, after all.

Sitting in his Captain's Chair, Jim tried to look as authoritative as possible as he looked over at his First Officer. "Spock, as a respectable member of the science department, you should accompany the away team down to the planet. Just for some extra analyzations and security for the team." Spock raised an annoyed eyebrow, but Jim knew that the Vulcan would be interested.

The thing is, that planet was teeming with several edible herbs and fruits even though it was a desert planet. Jim knew that Spock would be interested in collecting some samples to see if such plants could grow on New Vulcan. He smirked when Spock nodded and exited on the turbolift. In his peripheral, he saw Uhura looking at him curiously, but he didn't acknowledge her. He didn't want to give her any ideas.

Although, Spock and Uhura HAVE seemed to have made up, or at least Jim thought. He knew they weren't together again, but he often saw them engaging in conversation together in the mess. She actually laughed when they talked too. Jim never understood how Spock managed to make her laugh, but he wouldn't pry. It was good for them. He wondered if Spock would tell her the news any time soon...

"Keptin..." Chekov turned to face Jim, looking extremely embarrassed. Sulu gave the Russian an exasperated look, but didn't say anything.

"Yes, Chekov?" Jim smiled, appreciating how the young one could still be so easily flustered.

"Vell... Ze word around is gaining height, and vell..." Chekov stammered, looking uncomfortable. Uhura snickered, though, which seemed to give him a bit of courage somehow. "Are you end Spock dating?" Chekov choked out, and Jim gaped at him.

"Is..." Jim tried not to burst out laughing. "Is that what people are saying these days?" He let himself laugh for a bit, and Chekov looked considerably less red (thank God). "No, God no. If I could have, I would have tapped that a very long time ago. No, I'm not the one he's after."

"So he's after someone?" Uhura piped in, and Jim froze.

"Did I say that?" Jim laughed nervously, cursing his big mouth. He was really in deep this time. "You must be mistaken, Uhura. You know Spock. He's never after people. Don't think that." He got serious, and pointed at Sulu's mischievous look. "Don't even start betting on it, okay? That's an order. And all of you, stop this gossip." Jim sat up straighter in his chair, and sighed in relief when everyone returned to their work. Hopefully they'd all keep quiet about that little slip up. Thank high heaven Spock didn't hear that.

Spock joined the away team on the transporter pad, subconsciously choosing to stand next to McCoy, who was holding a bag of emergency medical equipment. "So Jim sent you over to make sure we didn't get into any trouble on the vacant planet?" McCoy said, half jokingly and half accusatory. Spock glanced at him, trying not to feel nervous.

"I found it in my own interest to accompany you planet-side." Spock said, and hoped that McCoy wouldn't catch any double meaning there.

"Ah, yeah, these plants would be great for New Vulcan, right?" McCoy said as he put his bag down and crossed his arms. Spock looked at him and nodded.

"Affirmative. It is my hope that I will find a suitable strain of herbs that might be beneficial when used as a tea. New Vulcan, unfortunately, is lacking in variety." Spock said, and McCoy nodded in understanding. The rest of the scientists arrived, and they beamed down.