Chapter 12

One month later

I really didn't know what more I could say about the team.

David was starting the first game of the ALDS this afternoon at the Rogers Centre. Ever since he got traded here, he's been so nice to everyone and the team loved him, especially the fans.

Marcus and David had gotten really close since he got here. It was like a long lost brotherhood.

I set up the teams uniforms and equipment with some other staff. I came a little earlier than everyone else, I wanted everything to be perfect and where they should be.

It was the Blue Jays' first playoff game in 22 years and the nervousness was definitely showing through me. Although I'm not even the one playing, I was just afraid things may not go as planned.

The staff and I were almost done setting up the dressing room when a few of the guys started arriving.

I greeted everyone as they came in and allowed them to change before they went out for warmups.

Every time I looked at them you could tell they were all really focused on winning and getting to the ALCS even though the division series only started today. They all worked really hard to get to this position and I wouldn't blame them for thinking ahead of themselves.

Gibby got everyone back into the dressing room as the Rangers started their warmups.

"That crowd out there is insane." I said to Marcus.

"22 long years, Ali."

"I know."

"Okay boys." Gibby started as everyone make their way to their cubbies. "Obviously it's been a really long time since this team has made the playoffs and the fans are clearly excited. My whole time here coaching the team I don't think I've ever seen a crowd like this."

"I second that." Jose said.

Gibby continued with his talk before I chimed in.

"I'll try not to repeat what Gibby said." I looked at the time, there was only a few minutes before we all had to head out for the announcements and anthems. "I've probably said this way too much but when I say it this team I really mean it. I'm really proud of everyone. You all did something for this team to make it here today. It's been a struggle to get here for years and I'm sure Gibby and some you older guys know what I mean." I went on about their success until we were told we had to head out. That's when all the nerves started to hit everyone.

From down the hall we could hear all the screaming from the fans. It was insane 

After the announcements, which were crazy by the way and the anthems, the game was about to start.

"Nervous?" I said to David on the bench.

"More than ever. First time in 22 years since this team has been here and I'm the starter."

"You'll do fine. We all know you will."

David was up, "Break a leg." I said.

"I probably will." He laughed. He always loved joking around which is good at a time like this sometimes. David has been in the playoffs before so he knew from experience what was to come.

---

We didn't do as well as I thought the guys would. The fans were loud the whole game which made it better.

It was the first game since 22 years of not being in the playoffs and frankly I wasn't surprised we lost the first game.

"Shake it off boys. It's a best of 5 series so we still have lots of games to play. This was just a warmup. Now we know what to expect and we'll be prepared."