Plane Crash pt. 2

*Mai's POV*

Night One...

I stare up at the night sky. Millions of stars. Millions of waves. Millions of thoughts.

Matt laid beside me, silent alike of me.

I think about the man I sat beside on the plane, and the song he was listening to.

Don't worry...be happy.

That song had consumed my childhood and made it better.

I get sick of my thoughts and sit up, not even making Matt's eyes open. But something told me he wasn't asleep.

I open the emergency pack that was attached to the raft and scour through it.

There were two full canteens of water, five chocolate bars, band-aids, fishing line with a hook, and a small first aid kit.

I sigh. I remember fishing trips that my father would force me to go on when I was younger. I remember little about how to fish.

"Matt" I mutter.

"Hmm?" he hums.

"Look" I say.

"I thought I wasn't allowed to look...?" Matt muses.

I had taken off my sopping shirt to help it dry on the rim, which Matt did as well, so I was just wearing shorts and a bra. I made Matt close his eyes and he hasn't opened them since.

It confused me on how he was amused during this kind of time. But I was complaining. Seeing him smiling inspired me to worry less.

"You can look," I whisper. I felt so quiet and shy when in reality I'm pretty enthusiastic. The plane crash didn't kill me but it killed my spirit.

Matt opens his eyes but only glances once at my almost half naked body. When he notices the chocolates and canteens his eyes widen.

His hands lunged for the chocolate instantly but I swatted them away.

"No. One square of chocolate a day and a couple sips of water. We each get our own canteen. That'll last us at least a couple weeks."

Matt sighs. "Good call."

I nod and take a canteen and take one tiny sip of water that barely wet my tongue.

I rest back on the rim and start thinking that talking would help me not worry.

"Why were you on the plane?" I ask.

Matts jaw clenches. "I was going to go see my
girlfriend."

For some reason, my heart sinks. But I ignore the feeling and clear my throat.

"Oh" I choose to say.

"Yeah. How bout you?"

"I was just seeing my family and was going back home."

"Oh."

I wonder if I'll ever be at home again, I think.

"Do you mind if I sing?" I ask.

Matt let his head fall back. "Please do."

I look down and close my eyes, thinking about the times when my family and I would dance to songs together and smile and be happy.

My voice cracks as I softly sing.

"In every life we have some trouble...when you worry you make it double...don't worry, be happy... ooh, ooh ooh ooh oooooh..."

I continue to sing until my voice cracks so much I couldn't even understand myself and then all of the sudden I burst out in tears.

My chest heaves as I sob and breath crazily. Matt's soothed mood is wiped away by the sound of my sobbing as his head rises and his eyebrows furrow.

"Hey, hey c'mere" Matt says, pulling me into his side as he holds me tight.

I cry for what felt like all night, my throat burning from my racing breath, but my heart hurt more.

When I begin to stop crying, I thought Matt would stop holding me, but Matt never loosened his grip.

"When I saw you in the airport, I thought you were beautiful," Matt whispers.

My eyes widen, but I didn't speak.

"We'll get through this Mai. I won't let you die."

I fall asleep in Matt's arms with his words repeating in my head.

_____

part two ;)

- a