Our Baby

"It's a girl?!" I squeal excitedly, gripping Matt's hands in mine tightly.

"Yes, baby, we're having a girl" Matt grins, as his lips then crash into mine, making my giggle and jump into his arms as we smiled and laughed and rubbed my tummy.

Matt and I are eighteen. Yes, I am pregnant at eighteen. Our parents were furious, our friends were ashamed, but then we realized that we didn't care.

This is our baby. What's wrong with starting a life early? And who said that you must have a child at age twenty-five or higher?

Of course Matt and I weren't planning on this, but the option of that evil word abortion is completely off the table.

There's no way I'm taking away my baby's chance of life.

Matt and I are still giggling and celebrating when we hear my Dad storm into the house, slamming the front door behind him.

We fall silent, as Dad charges up the stairs to where we are. He scowls at me, Matt, and my stomach that was only a bit bloated.

"What are you two smiling about?" Dad hisses.

Matt grips both my arms and pulls me a couple steps away from my Dad and closer to him.

"We're having a girl" Matt says more seriously this time, squaring up to my father.

Dad scowls and then rolls his eyes. "Well, it doesn't matter because that baby is getting aborted tomorrow."

Matt and I's faces become heartbroken as we stare at my heartless father.

"Excuse me?" I hiss.

"You heard me, young lady. We are getting that thing out of you as soon as possible" Dad repeats.

"That thing? Are you referring to your granddaughter as a thing?" I shout, becoming angrier by the minute. Matt was tensing up as well.

"It's going to ruin your life!" Dad yells.

"If anything, she is going to make our life better!" Matt yells, pulling me further away from my father, locking his arms around my belly from behind me.

"I am her father!" Dad yells.

"And I am her father!" Matt yells back, pointing to my belly.

That shuts Dad up enough for Matt to speak up.

"This is our baby. And you can think of her as a mistake, or a thing, or something that will ruin our lives, but do you know what we see her as? Our princess. Our little girl that we will spoil every day. Our baby girl who we will love unconditionally. And if you can't be at least a bit happy for us, then you don't have to be in her life."

Dad crosses his arms stubbornly and sighs, feeling defeated.

I place my hands over Matthew's, which were still placed on my belly.

Dad then hisses air out of his gritted teeth and storms out of the household. I sigh out of relief and turn around to face Matthew.

"I love you" Matt whispers to me, pecking my nose, then my forehead, and then he goes ballistic on my lips.

I smile into the kisses and say "I love you too...and our little princess."

Matt then goes down on his knees, pulls up my shirt, and places his lips on my warm belly. He whispers "I love you" onto my stomach, talking to our baby.

And lastly, he whispers to our princess, "And no one can take you away from us."

_

short but sweet, right?

just a little sketch I thought of when I visited my grandma in the hospital today and saw a woman with her new baby.

love you all.

- abby/ashley