Road Trip

*Cyrus's POV*

I climb into the large bus with only a Jansport backpack and a wad of cash in the back pocket of my skinny jeans.

I step on and give the bus driver my bus ticket I paid for. He rips off his needed portion of the ticket and gives me the leftover half. I tuck the half in the opposite pocket of my jeans, beside the cash.

I was traveling away from my home of South Dakota. My brother is in prison for drunk driving, my mom won't take me seriously anymore, and my best friend hates me for something I didn't even do.

So, as the twenty year old I am, I see that I am allowed and wanting to just backpack across the world.

I didn't know where I was wanting to go when I approached the bus ticket booth, but I did have one place in mind.

I was now traveling to Alaska, to see the mountains, experience the cold weather, and just have a different perspective on life than just keep doing the same thing each day.

I sit in the back of the bus, the second-to-last row of seats (two seats per section) and sit down by the large window of the bus.

I set my backpack in the seat beside me and sit Indian-style in the cushioned seat that made me feel comfy and actually pretty tired.

My stained blonde hair was in a messy bun as I wore a red flannel button up and skinny jeans, with red Vans on my feet, different sneakers although in my pack, along with loads of trail mix.

I see a guy jump aboard the bus, the driver turning towards him.

"Ticket?" the bus driver grunts.

The boy was wearing a camouflage colored tee shirt and cargo shorts, with Vans covering his feet.

The guy pulls his bus ticket out of his back pocket and gives it to the bus driver, adding a laid-back sounding "Here ya go" as he smacked his white colored gum in between his color matching teeth.

After the boy receives back his now teared ticket, he strolls down the aisle of the bus, hunting for a seat.

Surprisingly, out of all the open seats, the boy eyes me, stops at my section, and points a long tan index finger at my pack.

"Is this seat open?" the fairly tan, blonde headed boy asks with a crooked smile and a single smack of gum.

I frown, glancing back at the completely empty seats behind him, but then wash away my confusion because of my courtesy.

"Erm...I guess" I answer, grabbing a handful of my backpack and planting it in my lap next.

The boy smiles gratefully at me as he plops into my pack's previous seat and props his Vans on the seat in front of him.

There's a moment of awkward silence, as the bus finally starts driving onto the road of sunny skies and clear roads.

After a while, I hear the boy's voice speak again. "Where ya headed?" he asks, turning his head toward me, his hazel orbs for eyes scanning me.

I bite my lip. Either I tell the truth and risk the chance of having the boy follow me and tie me up in the trunk of a car with a slit throat, or I lie.

Don't be stupid, Cyrus.

"Alaska" I answer, releasing my bottom lip from my teeth.

The boy's eyebrows raise. "Ah" he says, giving his gaze to the window beside me now. "Why so?"

I shrug. "I'm tired of my boring cycle of life. I want to see the world more."

Matt's eyebrows raise. "Brave of you" he comments.