Scared

*Kassie's POV*

I lay down in the darkness, on the bed of my boyfriends, his parents away and us being alone.

We had just fought harshly and violently over me hearing the rumor that Matt was making out with a random girl at a party I wasn't invited to.

He became very defensive, making it clear it was true. Then all of the sudden he was screaming, "I was drunk, for fucks sake!" as an excuse, confirming the rumor wasn't a lie.

My eyes are still red from all the crying, and my throat still stings from all the screaming.

My heart still aches from all the pain.

We finally ended the argument...kind of. We didn't really resolve anything. I was sick of screaming and crying and I finally said "It's okay" or "No it's fine" or "You were drunk, it's not big deal."

All of them were lies.

And now he was asleep, and while he was sleeping I was quietly crying.

I fall asleep to the thought of Matt and I's relationship possibly ending.

__________

I awaken to the sound of glass breaking.

I sit up straight, dazed but awake enough to know it was the middle of the night and that Matt wasn't in bed anymore.

I groan as I stand, raking my hair out of my eyes with my fingers and then sneakily exit Matt's room and slip into the corridor.

Was it a burglar? Where is Matt? What time is it? All these questions raced in my mind a mile an hour as I quietly tip-toed down the stairs.

I hear another crashing sound, and cringe at the sound of the damage. What is happening?

I finally reach the bottom of the spiral staircase to see that it was no burglar or kidnapper. The ruckus was coming from Matthew himself, and the crashing sound was from the broken pieces of glass cups on the wooden floor of his kitchen.

There he stood, whimpering and leaning against the counter, his face in his hands and his breathing out of control.

I hurriedly make my way to Matt and cautiously walk around the glass, since I was barefoot.

"Matt?" I say, scared that Matt would jump from my voice and break something else.

But he stayed still, and continued to cry.

I frown and become full of sympathy and sadness for him. "Baby, what happened?" I ask, scoping the broken glass on the ground and trying to come up with theories for what could have possibly caused this kind of behavior from him.

Matt's hands leave his face as he looks at me with red, puffy, tear-filled eyes and wet cheeks.

"I-I'm sorry Kass," Matt says quickly. He hiccups and then sobs.

"What happened Matt?" I ask.

"I-I just wanted some water but then the glass broke...and then another one b-broke" Matt sobs, hyperventilating and shaking. "I fuck e-everything up."

I was still so confused on why he was crying, but I went into sympathy mode.

"Baby, it's okay," I assure, carefully approaching him closer and petting back his hair and then kiss his wet cheek. "I'm going to clean up this glass, and then we'll talk okay?"

Matt hiccups. "O-Okay."

I kiss him once more but then leave Matt alone for a moment to get the broom and dust pan that I knew was in Matt's kitchen pantry.

I take both out and then carefully sweep up the glass and toss it in the trash, and then get a vacuum to clean up the tiny pieces.

After the cleaning, I return to Matt who was staring at his hand with still crying eyes. I frown and then glance at his hand to find a bloody gash in the middle of his palm.

I gasp as my hands fly to my mouth. "Oh my God, Matt, why didn't you tell me you're hand was cut?!"

Matt sobs. "I-I'm sorry Kassie" he stammers.

I sigh and then get out the first aid kit, getting out some Neosporin and bandages.

I treat his hand and then wrap it up with a bandage and pin it. Throughout the whole process, Matt remained quiet. He was even done crying.

Once his hand is treated, and the mess is clean, I prop myself up to sit on the counter and placed Matt to stand in between my legs.

I take his poor, pouty face in my hands gently and press our foreheads together.

I gently kiss his lips a couple times, him giving the effort to kiss me back just as carefully, as if our lips were glass.

"Why were you crying?" I whisper in a delicate voice, my hands moving back to his hair as I gazed into his eyes.

I am very in love with him. But when we fight, it feels like there is no hope. No point in life.

Matt sniffs and gazes fondly into my eyes, giving me some kind of feeling I can't describe. As if I am the only person he can be with, that he can trust...that he can love.

"I almost lost you tonight" Matt's hoarse voice tries to whisper. I could tell he was crippling in pain.

The memories of the fight we engaged in just several hours before flash across my mind. The shouting, the hurtful words, the lies.

I didn't know what to say, because it was true, so Matt continued to speak in whispers.

"I love you more than anything in the world" Matt whispers to me as he caresses my cheek.

"You beautiful, reckless girl" Matt says, pressing his lips on mine and then retreating from the temptation. "You make my life better. You make my life worth living. I can't lose you, Kassie. Without you...nothing would make sense anymore."

My eyes become watery, matching his. I let the tears fall down my cheeks as we stare at each other, never breaking eye contact.

I love him so much.

Matt's lips hover over mine, and then they crash into each other like waves in the ocean.

The best part of our kisses is the drum rolls. That beginning of the kiss, right before the lips touch each other. The feeling, the tension, the excitement. It's worth living for.

"I'm going to love you until I die" Matt promises, one of his hands on my thigh and the other holding my tear stained cheek.

He kisses my forehead and then buries his his face into the nape of my neck, inhaling my scent.

He kisses my neck, then my jaw, and then our eyes lock once more, our lips drum rolling.

But right before we kiss, right before we let the past go, Matt promises me something that changes my perspective on us for eternity.

"Through my dead body will our love fail."

And then our lips collide.

__________

- abby