Chapter 18 - Breaking Hearts

It wasn't just my lips you kissed; it was my soul..
~

Manik broke the hug and cupped Nandini's face to ask her ''Are you okay? Nothing's disturbing you, right?''. Nandini pouted on the abrupt withdrawal - she had found her ultimate place of comfort within Manik's arms where she could forget whatever Harshad had shown her sometime back on that damned phone of his.

''Manik, I'm fine.'' Nandini assured him, trying to look as normal as possible and attempting to get back in his arms.

''Nahi.. I know you too well. There's something bothering you. Tell me what's wrong. Its about Harshad, haina?'' Manik held her back and asked.

Nandini gestured towards her bandaged feet, and diverted the topic ''Woh.. I was only thinking about the scars these burns will leave. Main pehle hi achi nahi dikhti, these scars will make me look even more ugly. Will you still want to be with me once these bandages come off?''.

Manik looked at Nandini trying to figure if she was being serious and after a moment, took her palms in his hands, saying ''Scars or not, you were and always will be the most beautiful girl to me. And it isn't just about your outer appearance, its your inner beauty and purity that has won over my heart, Nandini. Never ever think of yourself like this again.'' He then placed a gentle kiss on her fingers as if to affirm all that he said. Nandini blinked back tears and just stared at him. All her life, she had been insecure about the way she looked, but this precious person sitting with her had managed to vanquish all those self-loathe containing feelings in one moment. She had been looking only to divert the topic, but it all ended up making her fall even deeper in love with him, if possible.

How will I ever part with you Manik? You have given me a new lease of life.. I don't know if I'll be able to live without you.

''Hold me tight, Manik'' Nandini managed to utter. I want to enjoy these last few moments with you. I will treasure these memories for a lifetime.

Manik shot her a questioning look, and teasingly asked ''Phir se? Meri baatein itni achi lagi?''. But seeing Nandini's irritated face, he once again wrapped her in his embrace and she sighed in content.

--------

10 mins later..

The Fab 4 entered without warning. Manik instantly took his arms off Nandini because he knew she would be uncomfortable hugging like this infront of them, but this time, it was her who didn't leave him. She remained stuck to Manik's chest and her arms only tightened around his body.

''Ooh love birds.. Time to seperate'' Cabir teased them.

''Aaj nahi.'' Nandini replied stubbornly and buried her face in Manik's shirt.

Fab 4 burst into peals of laughter at her reply while Manik looked down at Nandini in utter confusion and amusement. He was puzzled at her sudden stubborn attitude but at the same time pleased with the change.

''What if I say.. Chacha and Chachi have come and will be entering any moment now?'' Alya asked, in between giggles. Nandini instantly left Manik and shot backwards making everyone laugh even harder. Nandini turned beet red and stared at her lap in embarassment.

''Waise, Nandini.. We are very sorry for how we shouted at you back in college.. We weren't thinking straight and in the spur of the moment...'' Mukti began apologizing, her laughter ceasing and a guilty expression framing her face. All the others too nodded in agreement. ''Its okay. Anyone would have reacted the same way'' Nandini replied amiably, stopping her from saying anything further. She was pleasantly surprised that it was Mukti from all of them, who chose to begun the apology. It warmed her heart to see the gentle and affectionate side, that too for her, of the normally bratty and reserved Mukti.