Chapter 5 - Fireflies & Stars

Nandini's POV

His slimy hands grabbed my neck.. And his huge lips slammed on to mine even as I lay shaking, my eyes pleading him to let go.. Next his hands travelled up my top, and I let out a cry of horror and disgust ....

I woke up shaking like a leaf , beads of sweat on my forehead and my heart palpitating so hard that I was finding it hard to even breathe. I had managed to convince Chachi that I was alright after I returned, just a little sick, which is why I was going to bed early. But now, as I shook with terror in the dark, I realised I needed someone. No, cut that out .. I needed Manik. I turned on the lights and ran up to the window, hoping somehow he would appear there. Seconds later, he appeared looking confused and concern. I tried hard not to cry out in relief,and silently thanked Ayyapa for listening to me.

--------

Manik's POV

I woke up with a start. I hadn't even realised when I had fallen asleep, so exhausted was I after all that happened today. For some reason, some thing picked at me, and I randomly walked up to the window.
Nandini?!!!What is she doing awake at this time?! I glanced at my watch .. It read 2.00 am.

I looked back at her, concerned. She seemed panicked and worried, but also somewhat relieved on seeing me. I grabbed my marker and a sheet - 'All good?' I scrawled and showed it to her.

'Nightmares' came her reply.

I used to have nightmares too, ever since I had seen Harshad with Nyonika and I knew how petrifying and unnerving they could be. I knew she would need someone to calm her nerves.

I impulsively scribbled - 'I'm coming there. Open the door - unless you want me to ring the bell.' Before she could react, I just left the room.

----------

Nandini's POV

'I'm coming there. Open the door - unless you want me to ring the bell.'
What?!!! Before I could stop him, he disappeared. Gosh, he is such an Impulsive idiot. Does he always act without forethought?

Despite my annoyance, I ran down to open the door. Couldn't risk having him ring the bell. Everyone would wake up, and unnecessarily create a scene. He reached in a matter of minutes and Even in my state of mixed emotions ( of both nerve-wrecked and annoyed) , I couldn't help noticing how amazingly sexy he looked with his hair all messy and his white t-shirt clinging to his fit body. Damn these hormones.

I shook off my thoughts, and signalling him to stay silent , took him upto my room.

Once having safely locked the door to my bed-room , I turned to express my irritation at him - ''Manik, tum aisa kaise kar sakte ho? You know how risky this is? If Chacha or Chachi wake up, then toh..''.

''Are you okay?''

''Huh?'' his question threw me off-guard.

''Are you okay?'' He repeated, his tall frame bending and his concerned face coming closer to my own.

I couldn't help melting at his genuine concern. ''Woh main.. Actually, I just got a little scared.. It was dark and..'' I felt a little embarrassed at admitting my fright.

He made me sit down and took my face in his palms comfortingly ''Nandini, its okay...You can tell me. Nightmares are terrifying, I used to have them too. And aren't we friends now?''.

This sincere gesture of his made me break down. I sobbed ''I am so terrified Manik.. Woh jo aaj huwa.. I can't get over it.''.

''Shh..I'm here now. You can go to sleep.'' Manik placed his hands on my bare shoulders, sending shivers down my spine.

''Nahi.. I can't. The nightmares will return.'' I confessed. He led to me to the front of the bed, made me lie down and sat next to me on the floor, saying ''What if ... I sing you a song?''

''You sing?'' I asked, impressed.

He nodded, smirking at my reaction - ''I also play the guitar. Just like you play the Veena?!''

''How did you come to know that?'' I confronted him.

''Never mind that''. He just non-chalantly avoided my question, managing to somewhat irritate me all over again.

''Let me first dim the lights..'' As he was about to go dim the lights, he noticed the jar of fireflies next to my bed.

''Yeh kya hai?'' He questioned. Both of us picked up the jar at the same time, his long fingers curving round the jar over my own. All of a sudden, the fireflies started glowing and he smiled in awe. My eyes widened , recalling what my mother always used to tell me - 'The fireflies glow when there is true love around'.  This beautiful belief was what made me so fond of fireflies in the first place. It was my little secret.

But this musn't be true. It can't. How will this charming, super good-looking guy fall for someone like me? My insecurities arose again.

''Fireflies hai, Manik.'' I said stating the obvious and trying to get rid of my stupid thoughts.

''Pata hai Einstein, but what are they doing on your bed-side table?'' He gently chided me.

''I'm just fond of them. They are so beautiful - they spread light everywhere, eliminating all the darkness. They inspire me , give me hope..'' I gushed, as he sat, a slightly stunned look on his face.

''Just like my stars..'' he slowly spoke. Noticing my confused look, he elucidated - '' I'm fond of the stars, you know. I can gaze at them forever. They are so pretty, shining all the time. They give me hope, make me happy''.

I smiled at his little confession. I just can't help falling for his beautiful personality.

He looked at me again, and suddenly shook his head. ''Dekho, in baaton ke chakkar mein we totally forgot. You have to go to sleep. You need rest.''

Before I could protest, he dimmed the lights, pulled my blanket gently over me and sat again. Frightened of the sudden darkness, I grabbed his hand. He squeezed it reassuringly and starting singing ..

Kuch Kam Roshan Hai Roshni
Kuch Kam Gili Hai Baarishen...

He had such a soulful voice, I felt goosebumps all over my hand as he sang ever so passionately and full of emotion. I made a mental note to ask him how he learned music the next time.

Kuch Kam Lehrati Hai Hawa,
Kuch Kam Hai Dil Me Khwahishen,
Tham Sa Gaya Hai
Yeh Waqt Aisi,
Tere Liye Hi .. Tehra Ho Jaise.. Mmmm...

I felt a sense of warmth and comfort envelop me and my eyelids drooped drifting me into a land of peace and serenity, his stunning, and now even a little dear to me - face the last image in my eyes.