Chapter 17 - Flames of Passion

Nandini shouted, but didn't move her feet - She knew running would only feed air to the flames. Manik reached her and started flapping his hands frantically at the fire, which was now licking her mid-thigh, not caring how his palms burnt because of it. He then took off his blazer and tried putting off the flames with it as Nandini wailed in horror and agony. Slowly, thanks to Manik's frantic exertion, the fire began dying and Nandini dropped on to the ground in sheer exhaustion. Another few moments and the flames had completely extinguished. Nandini's legs had suffered some burns, and while most of her dress had burnt off, some of it had melted and remained stuck to her skin. As Manik examined her burns taking care not to touch the melted pieces of cloth, Nandini shut her eyes, still in shock. Tears escaped from the corners of her eyes because of the searing pain spreading across her legs.

Tears stung Manik's eyes too as he registered Nandini's agonized, ashen state. The sight of her in flames had been most horrifying to him. He couldn't see her in pain, nor could he afford to lose her. He moved close to her, and tried to wipe the tears off her face, hissing in pain as her salty tears touched his palm. Nandini's eyes flew open at his sound, and she grabbed his hands to take a look, forgetting her own suffering for the moment. His palms were badly burnt and his raw red skin made her cry even more. He hadn't cared for himself, putting his hands into the scorching fire to save her. She looked at him. There was a myriad of emotion in both their eyes. Pain. Anguish. Fear. Acceptance. Love.

This was it. Both knew what they felt for each other was far beyond attraction. It was true Love. Pure, deep, intense Love. Love, that did not allow one to exist without the other. Their hearts now beat as one. Both were suffering from equal pain. The pain was more because the other was hurt, their own injuries had become secondary.

In this pained and injured state, their lips fused, in acceptance of their true love.

The kiss assured them that they were alive and together, though in pain. Manik pressed deeper into her soft lips, the magical sensations helping him forget the horrifying image of her ablaze for the moment. Nandini too poured in all her affliction into the kiss, losing herself within its pure passion. They were burnt, hurt and amidst smoke and heat, yet lost within each other because being next to each other was all that mattered.

The sound of footsteps nearing made them break their blissful kiss. It was Professor Raghav along with a couple of students. The smoke arising from behind the college had alerted them. Raghav's eyes widened in shock as he registered the two injured students. ''Quick, get them in a car and to the nearby City Hospital. They need medical attention'' He ordered to the students, trying not to panic.
----------

''Do not stress or over-work your hand if you want it to heal as fast as possible. I have also prescribed some pain-killers which you can take in case the pain gets unbearable along with an antibiotic ointment.'' The doctor was saying to Manik, covering his burnt hands with sterile dressing. However, Manik was least interested in what the doctor had to say. It had been 15 mins since he last saw Nandini, and he couldn't wait any longer. Once they were brought to the hospital, Manik insisted on having her treated first and only after her burns were cleaned and bandaged, did he allow himself to be tended to.

''Here you go'' the doctor handed Manik his prescription. Manik grabbed it and rushed outside with it, his only aim to check up on his precious Nandini.

As soon as he stepped out, five familiar faces laced with anxiety and guilt surrounded him. Fab 5.

''T-Tu theek toh hai?'' Mukti stammered, wiping a stray tear off her face. ''We heard from a few students that you and Nandini were injured in some fire...'' Alya continued, in a low and shaking voice.