"wake up, sunshine"

a sharp whistle pierced through the cool morning air, making birds fly from the power lines and tired boys fly from their beds. it was the official first full day at camp, and connor and troye's feelings about it couldn't have been more different. connor sprung out of bed with a smile on his face, while troye practically rolled out of his tangled sheets and fell on the floor.

a cool breeze floated through the cabin, the air having been brushed straight off the lake. the sun peaked out, just over the hills, as if it was greeting them good morning.

"goooood morning, boys!" uke and comet stood at the picnic table together, already dressed and ready for the long day ahead. "get ready, and make sure you put on bug spray and fill up your water bottles!"

troye stood up shakily, rubbing his eyes and streatching out his limbs sleepily. "what time is it?" he asked in a gravely voice.

"seven," connor said brightly, lacing his tennis shoes up tightly. "wake up, sunshine."

phil sat up in bed, yawning and looking around confusedly. dan was oblivious to the whistle; he lay still under his fluffy blanket, softly snoring. the others had discovered that dan was the youngest of all of them, having just turned ten.

"wake up, sleepy head," phil cooed. he shook dan's shoulder gently, and the sleeping boy slowly rolled to his side.

"mumma?" dan asked, eyes still shut and hands reaching out blindly.

"no," phil smiled, pulling back dan's blanket. "it's phil! get up, we have a big day ahead!"

all the boys hurried to get dressed, staying mostly quiet. troye brushed out the tangles in his hair and tugged it back into a ponytail.

once they were ready, connor led them out to where the counselors and some other boys were sitting at the picnic tables. connor and troye sat down with them, and troye rested his tired head on connor's shoulder and closed his eyes. the other campers weren't really an impressive bunch, just a group of grubby ten to thirteen year olds with annoyed grimaces, agrivated from being woken up so early. connor was the only one who appeared to be eager about the day.

"once everyone gets out here we'll head to breakfast," comet explained softly.

"cabin six!" uke called, cutting him off. "we're waiting on you! the longer you take, the later we get breakfast!"

four chubby boys scurried out from the last cabin, tugging on their hats and tripping over their shoelaces.

the group made their way to the mess hall, some kids struggling to keep up with the fast moving counselors. troye, connor, dan, and phil kept close to each other.

the day after that moved quickly, packed to the brim with adventures that troye was beginning to like. they hiked down to the lake and went kayaking, which resulted in troye accidentally tipping his and connor's little boat. uke and comet made the boys play what they liked to call teamwork games, to which all the boys groaned and rolled their eyes.

it was late in the afternoon, just an hour or two before dinner, when uke finally sat the boys down. the boys were mostly sweaty and sunburnt, panting from the heat and tired out from all the hiking and walking they had done.

"who's tired?" comet asked the disheveled group, admittedly looking a little run down himself. groans arose from all the boys, some murmuring how dead they felt.

"i know what'll cheer you guys up," uke continued. he stood up slowly and beckoned for the others to do the same. "let's go swim! hiking down to the lake again won't be so bad, right?"

he was totally lying- the lake was over a mile away from where they were, down a steep gravely hill with unstable rocks. but, nonetheless, they still trekked down.

the sun was low enough on the horizon to cast shadows of the trees onto the lake.

"it's really pretty out here," troye said softly. connor couldn't help but think that troye was prettier. his wide eyes gazed around, filled with wonder at the watercolor sky and the towering pine trees. the lake water caught in his now free and unbraided curly hair like dew drops on a delicately woven spider web.

the boys changed into their bathing suits and waded into the water, sighing at the contrast of hot air and cool lake. troye floated on his back, hands folded peacefully over his stomach. his hair floated out around his head like a halo.

he's doing that funny thing again, connor thought. troye had closed his eyes, as he was so prone to do. like everything was so beautiful, it hurt to look at.

-----------------------

the rest of the week passed much like that day, filled with swimming and bonfires and smores and camp songs. dan followed phil around like a puppy, latching onto his arms and sitting by him whenever possible. (not like phil minded, of course. he thought the younger boy was sweet.)

connor and troye shared late night conversations after all the lights had turned off. they lied side-by-side in the tiny twin sized bed, but it didn't feel too terribly small anymore. connor was happy to share, happy to have his best friend fall asleep lying on his chest, contently listening to his heart beat.

---------------------------

so much of what's gonna happen in the later chapters was written in a group chat w -lostboy not even kidding

who wants a sneak peak????? i bet u do

- troye is gonna paint connor's nails cute cute

- c is gonna paint on troye's back ya feel

- t is gonna write c a song

- tbh there's gonna b so much making out not even kidding uGh im a slut for my own story