Chapter XXIII

Amelia's POV

  I opened my mouth to say something, but the lump in my throat cut me off. Deep yet sharp breaths escaped my lips as I felt the tears creep from the corners of my eyes. I had no words. I wanted to know, I had to know, but something inside me... It wasn't letting me speak. Almost like I already had the answers I was looking for in everyone but myself. "Amelia," Christian's voice echoed trough my ears as I stared in his dark eyes, still speechless. I noticed him taking a step towards me while Calliope was fixing me with those blue eyes intently, but I just took a step backwards as I felt a tear slip down my face.

  There was a part of me, a small spark inside my heart that believed I was a normal girl. A human. That I was somehow cursed to be born as a huntress, but never have I ever believed that I was actually a supernatural. "A Clíona?" I gasped, my voice so quiet and shaky that I wasn't sure if they even heard me. But even though I took a few steps backwards, Christian never gave up trying to reach out for me.

  "Amelia, I want you to listen to me. I need you to listen." His voice was calmed and he was somehow trying to get to me, like he was talking to an insane person. But no matter how hard I tried I felt the tears slip down my face, and my blood unpleasantly boil in my veins. I felt his hand on my shoulder and I didn't move away. I froze. "We'll explain everything to you. I promise. You just have to listen, cause after today..." He stopped and looked over his shoulder at wide eyes Calliope who quietly gave him some kind of a sign as he continued. "After today, nothing will be the same."

  I stared at him, somehow locked by his dark eyes and I just nodded my head. "Alright?" He asked me to confirmed again, and without even realizing, I took in a deep breath, filling my chest with as much air as I could. Closing my eyes for a second, I slowly exhaled it, feeling his hand travel from my shoulder, down my arm, and grabbing mine. My heart skipped a beat, but it wasn't because of his touch, it was because I was agreeing on listening to something I didn't know if it was even the truth.

  Opening my eyes, I was almost surprised from his patience. I nodded my head again, earning a weak smile from Calliope behind us. "Come on. Not in here." He took my hand in his and started walking out of the kitchen as somehow the tensity in the air was gone. The unpleasant energy around us, it was banished. I once had said to think for yourself, be as difficult to herd as cats, but at this point, all I wanted was the truth. Once and for all.

  After we got in the living room, Christian let go of my hand as I sat on an armchair across from the couch where they both sat. Calliope looked at Christian a few times, almost like she wasn't sure if they should tell me or now, but I was ready to do whatever it takes to get the truth out of them. "What did you hear?" Was the first thing Christian asked as he rested his elbows on his knees and intertwined his fingers together. I felt like I was in the principal's office.

  I wiped my already cooled tears quickly before I started talking. "Just," I let out a slight sigh. "Just that I am," I was once again cut off by the pressure in my throat.

  "A Clíona," Calliope said and licked her lips, almost like she was nervous too.

  "What does that even mean?" I mumbled, fixing Christian again. Somehow, I knew that he had the answers. He always had the answers. Even when no one told him, he managed to find out my real identity. They both looked at each other, almost like they were still hesitating on telling me, but at that point, in that situation, it annoyed the shit out of me. I had to know. "Christian," I almost surprised myself how confident my voice sounded. How casually I addressed him by his name, but he was no longer sir, or his Highness. We were no longer in the castle. No longer in Venedocia.

  After he looked at me, he let out a sharp breath, but I was anxious. I could no longer wait. "You said you would tell me. You said I needed to listen." My voice was raspy and my tone was no longer quiet. I wasn't completely conscious, but I was ready.