Prologue •

Amelia's POV

One year. One year since my new life had started. One year since I was reborn. And every second of it I tried my best for the past to be forgotten. I was fully aware that everything I had, the life that I lived through my 19 years, was over. I was a new person. But being born and raised in such a unique family was never a pleasant experience for me. Being the one and only daughter of the famous Vampire Hunter, Arthur Waldorf was never something I was proud of. Since my eleventh birthday, I was told about my ancestry and that was the moment where my 'training' started. The daughter of the leader was supposed to be the best trained and second in command. Signature: arrows. No Cupid Bows, real ones. It was my signature weapon at the time, a.k.a. the only weapon I had full control over. However, I never wanted a life like that. All of the scary tales, legends and myths that kids were told before they went to sleep, for me were reality.

  However, never have I saw a vampire before my sixteenth birthday. That's when my story actually began. I remember the day starting normally until I was kidnapped and forcefully taken away. Everything that my father had warned me about started coming true. I learned that the limitations of vampires were fables put about by their own kind. The garlic was just a story that humans made up. And I was one of those. Just a human.. Helpless compared to a Vampire. Even though at the time I had 5 years of training, I wasn't even able to run 5 feet without being caught.

  Taken to be a slave, I served exactly 8 different Vampires.. Masters. All of that in just one year. One painful and traumatic year. I was lucky enough for my first master to show pity and sign me up as Amelia Grace. If the other vampires had found out who I was, the daughter of Arthur Waldorf, I would have been long killed the second I was taken. As for after, I was still Amelia Grace; the girl who was starting a whole new life and not looking back in her past.

  It was still that one year that felt like a thousand. I was just another vampire slave, until I managed to run away. I still don't know how, and am still thanking God for giving me the chance to run away from that hell. But with a small help from some people that I met throughout the painful year, I was free.

  However, in human world I was a dead girl. My family, friends, my whole home town knew me as a girl who was kidnapped and brutally murdered. I was the 'missing girl' for two months until they found a body in the river and thinking it was mine, I was declared dead. Perhaps it was another one of those mind games vampires knew how to pull off.. Just another trick for the humans with a few spells from their witches.. But either way, everyone had already given up on me, so after my runaway from the vampires, I decided to start a new life. I was already on the other side of the country, away from my hometown in California. So the old Amelia; Amelia Waldorf was already long dead.

  Through the year of independence, the year that actually meant a break for me, I managed to find a job. A well paid job as a waitress. It was a full time job where I worked whenever I was told. But the money was good, so I was able to afford a small apartment in Petersburg and a somewhat normal lifestyle. Once I was ready and standing on my own two feet, I was planning to go back home. My real home. The place where I was probably already forgotten, but also the place where I grew up.

  No matter how much I blamed my father for everything that had happened to me, I was fully aware that it was all already in my blood. For generations my family was known as the Aurum family.. Gold in Latin. When Arthur and Jessica Waldorf got a baby girl, every hunting family celebrated. A new leader was born. But I was never a leader. I could never be what they all expected me to be. I know that my father had 'lost' his daughter without being proud of her. But the war that they've been planning was long won by the vampire. With vampires winning for the past few centuries, I don't know if you can even call it a war.

  However, trough the horrifying and painful year, I was taught discipline. Even when I ran away, the helpless slave girl continued living inside me. Being the slave that didn't show any emotions with my Masters wasn't an easy thing. Everything that I felt, I held it inside me, causing my masters to do everything they could until a single tear slipped down my cheek.

  But perhaps I thought that all of that was long over. I had made friends over the year in Petersburg, found my way back into dating life, even though I was never able to trust anyone in my life again.. That was one of the many things I've learned in life. With help from a few people I was able to start a new life. Literally. New ID, new passport, new story. I was no longer the daughter of the invincible Arthur Waldorf. I was now Amelia Grace, the mysterious new girl in town that everyone wanted to get to know. But no one in this world could make me talk about what I had been trough. I found a way to bury that deep inside me and no matter how much someone tried, I never trusted them enough to tell. 'Cause that's what I had become. And I convinced myself that, It's just who I am now.