Chapter XI

"Amelia, what's wrong?" I heard Dimitri whisper as I felt his hand on mine. But I had to stop staring before Adam notices me. I slowly ducked down, kneeling next to Dimitri's chair and thanking my lucky stars Adam didn't see me. After he sold me, I saw him twice, and both times he reminded me of the fact that he was the only one that knew the real me. That he could tell whenever he wants. But the whole castle was looking for me and if Adam sees me and tells... I felt Dimitri's hand on my hair as he caressed it gently, making me instantly relax under his touch, but I still couldn't calm my breaths and my unsettled heartbeat.

I didn't even notice that the meeting had started. Silence took over the large room as Dimitri was the only one talking with that cold deep careless voice. Vampires didn't show emotion, so no matter what they were talking about, there was that monotone that wasn't changing. I didn't understand a word they were saying, but I couldn't even concentrate on anything but the fact that Adam was here. What if he saw me?

As my knees started to feel numb, I was happy that the end finally came. I felt Dimitri pull away his hand from my hair, but I just wanted to reach for him and hold his hand tight. Of course he wouldn't have any idea, but at this point, I would rather die than let Adam see me. After Dimitri and I stood up, my eyes quickly searched the room for Adam and once again fear washed over my whole body when I saw him talking to another guy near the door. He didn't see me, but the chances of sensing me were pretty big.

Dimitri started walking towards the door, but we first had to pass the whole room. Thankfully Adam was far from us and too concentrated on whatever he was talking about. As soon as we walked outside the room, I released a deep breath and closed my eyes in relief. "Hey, are you alright?" Dimitri asked quietly, careful so we wouldn't be heard. He was supposed to treat me like a real slave not to ask if I was okay or not, so we had to be careful around others so they wouldn't notice that he was going easy on me.

I nodded my head. "Yeah, I'm fine," I said breathlessly, but Dimitri soon stopped, making me instinctively look behind if Adam was near us. Maybe I was just being paranoid. Maybe he wouldn't even recognize me. But I was pretty 'memorable'- with his words. Hunter's daughter. Every vampire's worst enemy and first target. Suddenly, I felt Dimitri slightly pushing me behind a wall near the door so no one would see us.

He practically trapped my body with his as my back was leaning on the cold wall behind. "Okay, what's going on? You're pale as a ghost." He put his hand on my forehead and down my face, checking if had a temperature. I wish that was it. But no matter how upset I was, I couldn't help but close my eyes under his touch. It was stronger than me.

"I'm fine, just," I opened my eyes, trying to focus. God, I had to tell him. Soon. He stared at me, expecting an answer, but I wasn't sure if I had the right answer. He didn't even know who I really was, and how was he gonna react when he finds out that I'm his biggest enemy's daughter? I looked behind the wall again seeing Adam walk out of the room with that same guy and still talking about something. "Oh, god," I mumbled and leaned my head back on the wall, almost forgetting that I left Dimitri waiting for an answer.

"Amelia." He demanded when he looked on the side trying to see what I looked at, but Adam was already out of sight.

"I'm sorry," I said with a shaky voice, but was scared to look at him in this eyes. Looking up, I noticed him licking his bottom lip and looking a little frustrated. "I'm sorry I lied before. I'm sorry I didn't tell you the truth," I said, feeling the tears threaten. I actually felt bad for lying to him. He'd done nothing to deserve something like that from me.

"Amelia-," Dimitri started, but I cut him off.

"You know nothing about me." My voice was raspy and shaky as I almost shouted. He would hate me if he just knew. Our eyes met and no matter how stressed I was in the moment, he managed to make my heart melt with just on glance.