Silver Dragons

Callum

After checking the small pack and seeing that I have everything we could possibly need on the road (within reason), I gently grasp Ella's hand, giving it a tight squeeze. She smiles at me. I think she's scared, and I think I now why. She's leaving the only place she's ever known, or rather, the only place she's ever remembered. I think if I were in her shoes, I'd be more than a little frightened as well.

Quietly, ignoring my snoring brother, we slip out the door and look both ways. The glassy black halls were clear of any guards. The only sounds to be heard was the crackling of the blue fire torches in their grates. If it weren't for their cold light, the black glass would look endless.

Our footsteps sound loud against the fragile silence. They thump and clack as we move carefully towards the end of the corridor. I feel as though everyone and everything can hear my heartbeat. Thump, thump, thump. A continuous, constant rhythm that will no doubt get us caught if I'm not careful. Instead of an internal organ that pumps blood within my chest, it sounds more like a drum.

Ella is towed along by my hand, which firmly grips hers. I would rather carry her the same way a groom carries his bride, but I think that would scare her. To this day, even without her memories, she still doesn't like being touched. It's a shame, my fingertips yearn to lightly graze her soft skin, as they once did in the past. Even though our embraces were few and far in between, I treasured each and every one of them, but there's one in particular that I'll never forget, the memory being etched in my heart for eternity.

The kiss we shared after she brought me back to life.

I remember what it was like to die. I wish I didn't, but I do. The darkness, the cold, the silence... it was enough to drive me insane. Then, I remember the light. Like a gentle moonbeam, it had reached down and wrapped itself around me, warming my empty body. I can remember the feeling of my heart jumping back to life. I could almost exactly recall the sensation of blood flowing through my veins once more, and it had felt thrilling. Almost like an adrenaline rush. And then, as I found myself choking on something, needing something, I'd felt warm lips on mine, breathing air into my parched lungs.

I will never forget the moment my eyes opened to reveal her beautiful face so close to mine. Her lips on my lips by her own free will. The tingles and the butterflies that threatened to explode in my gut were both excited and filled with loving pleasure.

Oh Celestia, I remember thinking. I'm in love with this beautiful creature in front of me.

Perhaps that's why, even when she pulled away, I tugged her forward and kissed her. It was the first open mouthed kiss we'd ever shared, and I will never forget her glorious taste. Her lavender scent had filled my nose, her taste had simmered on my tongue and her hair and skin had felt like silk underneath my fingertips. She was everywhere and everything. I cannot even begin to describe the joy that had filled me from head to toe.

And then he took her away.

As we wander the halls of this hell hole, I try not to let my rage get the better of me. Think of her, I try to tell myself. She makes you happy.

It was true. One of the reasons why I had to find her after she was taken, was because I'd had a taste of real happiness, and I wasn't about to let it slip through my fingers. But the thought of that night... his arms around her waist, his smug look and her frightened whimpers... it was too much. It had made me beyond angry that Arran had the nerve to take her from me, but also to take her memories from her. He claimed that he loved her, but what he has for her isn't love. At the most, it could almost be described as a need for affection and understanding. He seemed to think that she would understand him and make him happy. He was sorely mistaken.