Chapter 56

Hi Lovelies,

The last chapter is here and it is dedicated to @bloomai245 :D

Cover above and below, done by my friend @GaneshNayak :D Awesome one! Thank-you :D

Enjoy!

****

"Maybe it's not as clear-cut as that. Maybe it's the very presence of one thing – light or darkness – that necessitates the existence of the other.

Think about it, people couldn't become legendary heroes if they hadn't first done something to combat darkness. Doctors could do no good if there weren't diseases for them to treat."

- Jessica Shirvington.

DARYA P.O.V

I have never felt so horrible like I did at the moment, watching Ekon's lifeless body. Knowing that I was the cause of it made me lower my lash in guilt.

"How could I do that?" I whispered against Quillon's chest as he ran his hands through my hair. "How could I?" I repeated unable to believe myself. What had come over me at that moment?

"It was the right thing to do" Quillon said and I shot him a shaken look of reproach. Right thing? Killing Ekon? He was a good guy!

Before I could disagree, I heard Konrad growling. Pulling away from Quillon, I stared at Konrad in apprehension.

Slowly, he placed Ekon's hand on the ground and then growling, he stood up with his back to us.

"You killed my friend" Konrad hissed and I flinched visibly, while I felt Quillon's grip on my arm tighten aggressively. "Now, I will show you how that feels."

Gulping, I lowered my lashes and when I raised them Konrad was gone from my sight.

"Oh! God! What did I do?" I said lowering my head and covering my face with my shaking hands.

I am not a cruel person, yet I did this! How am I going to face Meryl?

"Darya... no!" Quillon said and tugging my wrist, he forced me to drop my hands from my face. "I understand you are upset but you did no wrong" Quillon added and I simply stared at him, wondering how could he say that?

"Ekon made his choice Darya. He was the sacrifice!"

I didn't expect that word to be associated with Ekon and so, I hitched my brows in bewilderment.

"His sacrifice helped me see things clearly" Quillon added and held my hands in his own. That's when I felt it... the grief. The change of emotion in Konrad! I had sensed it earlier, but I thought it was my own... never in the world thought that Konrad would grieve for Ekon!