****

"So you are saying she needs time to decide?" Seema asked warily sitting on the living room sofa.

"Yes, she was shocked and her father doesn't want to force her. He said give her time to adjust to the idea and we will ask again in a week." Ghazala said gravely.

Seema rubbed her fingers on her temple as if a headache had emerged, "He is right baji. We can't force her. We will wait for her decision after all she has to live with Salman her whole life."

Ghazala exhaled deeply, "Thank you Seema for understanding inshaa Allah in a week Nawal will understand."

"Inshaa Allah," Seema murmured and glanced at the door way where Salman stood with his laptop bag in his hand and his tie loosened. He had come back home from work.

"Okay Ghazala I will talk to you later." Seema disconnected her call and turned to her son.

Muhammed followed his son and smiled at his wife, "Assalam u alaikum Simmi."

"Walaikum salaam," she mumbled and vigilantly eyed her son wondering how much he had heard.

"What was khala saying?" Salman asked without bothering with any greeting.

Seema averted her gaze from her son and instead looked around the room, "She said Nawal was shocked and she needs time to make her decision."

Salman's jaw clenched hard that a muscle ticking at the side of his jaw could be seen. This made Seema hurriedly continue, "Don't worry she is confused. All her life she thought of you as her brother and now this..."

Muhammad frowned, "What do you mean?"

Apparently, Seema had not discussed the proposal with her husband. She knew he wouldn't be pleased at all, "I spoke to Baji about Nawal and Salman's marriage." She whispered.

"WHAAAAAT????? YOU DIDN'T BOTHER TO TELL ME???" Muhammad seethed.

Seema winced at her husband's sudden outburst, "Salman consent is in this."

"I don't like that girl. She is not good for him. I have said this earlier." Muhammad glowered at his wife then at his bewildered son, "My son is not going to marry that immature childish girl at all."

Muhammad glared at his wife challenging her to refute him. But she knew well to keep quiet when her husband was this angry.

Salman said softly, "Dad this is what I want."

Muhammad spun around to his son and pointed at his chest, "You will make the biggest mistake of your life. She will create hell for you."

Salman started shaking his head but Muhammad was not in the mood to hear any more in this matter and left with a curse that will haunt Salman in the coming months.

"You will regret this Salman. Mark my words, you will regret this."

Muhammad's words stung Salman's heart.

****

Nawal: Can I call you?

Daud eyebrows furrowed, they never spoke on the phone. Why was Nawal asking to call?

Daud: is everything alright?

Nawal: I will tell you when I speak to you.

Baffled, immediately he dialled her number. He took out the cigarette from its pack when Nawal answered on the second ring.

"Hello, Salaam." She said breathlessly.

Something was not right. She seemed upset. The cigarette forgotten on his fingers he replied,