Chapter 14

Standing at the end of the black Dodge truck I was preparing for a fight. Rehearsing exactly what I was going to say over and over again. Rick never liked me going on runs and it was always an uphill battle with him each time. Recently these battles spun publicly out of control and ended with me yelling at him. Today however I planned on having a rational adult conversation.

I was still rehearsing what to say as Rick strolled towards the vehicles with several of the others in toe. As his eyes scanned in my direction I found myself standing a little straighter, touching my hair, doing  girly things. What the hell man....seriously this was not me.

"Morning Jenna," Rick tossed me one of his easy going smiles.

With that smile I had forgotten everything I had so diligently practice. Desperately trying to remember the only thing I could manage to mumble that made any sense at all was, "Morning."

Standing there like a muted fool I watched as Rick reached underneath the wheel well and retrieved the tuck keys. Paying no attention to me Rick opened the truck door and tossed his jacket in. Just as he was about to slip into the drivers seat Rick glanced in my direction. Seeming to realize only now that I was still standing here Rick stilled half way in the truck. Nodding in my direction he asked, "What's up?"

Gathering all the gumption I could I inhaled one deep breath. "I want to come with you." Feeling like I should add more I began rambling. "And the others.... On the run... I want to go on the run."

Rick looked at me as if he was going to burst out laughing. Chewing on his bottom lip he looked over his shoulder at Daryl. "What do you think?"

Giving me a blank stare at first I thought it was going to be Daryl who would say no. "Grab your gear."

Slightly dumbfounded I watched as Rick jumped into the drivers seat starting the truck. Seriously, I thought to myself, that was it. As weird as it sounds I almost felt let down that it was so easy.

Leaning out his window Rick called out to the other truck, "Let's hit those few houses before we head east. Do you still remember how to get there?"

With a thumbs up sign from Glenn we were off and down the road. Stopping at the first two houses Rick told me to stay in the truck before he had even put it in park. I could have argued but I had  feeling it was pointless. So I sat and watched them do a perimeter check and waited. The last three houses we stopped at Rick never bothered to say anything but he didn't have to. I knew he expected me to stay put.

I was beginning to feel like a dog along for a car ride by the time we left the last house. "Where are we going?"

Having turned down several back roads I honestly had no idea where we were. Rick glanced for but a second into the rear view mirror at me before he answered, "There's a camp about twenty miles ahead."

"A camp?" The confusion evident in my voice.

"Not like a community," Rick explained. "A camp like where you send your kids in the summer. It's out here in the middle of no where and with the outbreak happening when it did I'm guessing it has untouched food and medicine. It's at least worth a second look."

"Second look." I asked leaning forward, "You've been there?"

"We scouted it on the last run," Daryl began, "but it was getting dark and we were low on gas."

"It was a judgment call," Rick shot Daryl a side long look, "No need to take unnecessary risks."

I couldn't help but smile as I sat back in my seat looking out the window. The two of them bickered like an old married couple. Amused I listened to them contently until Rick eventually pulled up behind some abandoned cars on the road.