Chapter Forty-Seven

Start from the beginning

----------

Around back Karina hastily put her things in the small shed behind the house. The ominous feeling had faded now, and somehow she felt certain there was no danger, but it was still a strange time for a visitor to come calling. The evening bell had rung more than an hour ago, and it was already growing dark. Perhaps it was merely one of Manna's patients and it was only the visitor's distress she'd felt. It had happened before after all. She'd noticed it more as she grew older. Karina knew she could sense things, feel people's emotions. Once or twice she'd even had premonitions of things before they happened.

Of course Karina never really told anyone. She knew Manna would probably think her silly to imagine she had that sort of power. Maybe she was being silly to worry now. There were many reasons someone might wish to see the Elder Nita after all, even if the hour was late. The only way to know for certain was to go back inside and greet their guest and to do that, Karina knew she had to make herself look at least somewhat presentable.

Finding a clean a rag Karina dipped it in the barrel of water she kept for re-filling the horse's water trough, wiping at her face to remove some of the sweat and smudges of dirt. Examining her reflection in a metal bucket, she did her best to smooth down her hair, reigning in the frizzy locks still coated with sweat and retying the leather thong she'd used to hold it back. There was nothing to do for her clothes of course, the breeches and cotton shirt were entirely unladylike, but she brushed off as much of the dirt as she could before hurrying back towards the house.

The moment Karina turned the corner she could tell that something was wrong, the feeling of danger hitting her full force once again. There was a horse outside, tethered to a post out front. A brown mare. She didn't recognize it. The animal was drenched in sweat, nostrils flared, breathing heavily and pawing anxiously at the ground. Karina put a calming hand on the horse's flank, patting it gently. 

"It's alright, girl," she soothed. The horse snorted and tossed its head. The lead on the horse's halter had been tied loosely so Karina took it up and re-tied it, trying not to let her own anxiety frighten the already spooked animal. "It's alright." Giving the creature another pat, Karina attempted to soothe herself into believing her own words of comfort before she went back inside.

----------

She found them kneeling on the ground near the fire, Manna and a man she didn't know, speaking in hushed tones.

"Manna?" Karina's voice wavered slightly as she shut the door behind her. There was a strange feeling in the room. Something unpleasant, an odd odor.

Manna's gray head lifted at the sound of her voice, lined faced creased in an expression somewhere between worry and sadness.

"Karina, come here," she said, "I need your help."

"What's wrong?" Karina asked, not moving. She felt an uncomfortable squirming sensation all over, some part of her certain she did not want to get any closer to the fire.

"I need your help," Manna repeated, this time with more force.

Karina came forward hesitantly to obey her teacher. It was then she saw what Manna and the visitor were huddled around. On the floor in front of them, on the straw pallet Manna kept for her patients, lay what looked like a bloody pile of rags, the fire casting shadows upon it. She took another uncertain step towards the heap but then she heard a moan. It moved. Coming closer she could see now, the mess of blood and cloth, it was a man.

She could see a face in the flickering light of the hearth, or at least what was left of a face. His features were barely discernible, his skin burned and blistered. A mass of red mangled flesh. From the small opening that must have been his mouth, came a ghastly moan, low and raw. Karina thought she would be sick.