Chapter 11 : The car ride to New York

Chapter 11

Later that night...

Riker POV

I walked into my room after showering. Jeff was staring out the window. I rolled my eyes, and got in bed. Jeff turned, looked at me, and then got in his own bed.

I went on my phone, texting one of my friends about Ryland. He'd gotten sick tonight. He was throwing up quite a lot, so mom and dad decided he wouldn't go with us. They didn't want him to be throwing up in the car, having a miserable time. They arranged for him to stay with our grandparents.

I heard sniffling, so I looked over, and saw a few tears falling down Jeff's face. I got up, and left the room.

Jeff POV

I let myself fall down face first onto my pillow in tears. My own brother hates me. I don't know how I'm going to survive this vacation if he hates me! It just hurts...

Later...

Jeff POV

Riker had come back, but he'd ignored me. He'd gone to bed, and now he was snoring. Most nights, he'd let me fall asleep first so I wouldn't have to hear his snores, even after we'd had our original argument. But not tonight. He hadn't said a single word. He hadn't even acknowledged I was here.

I tossed and turned, not able to fall asleep.

Around 2:30, Riker woke up. He didn't look in my direction as he left the room. I realized he was probably just going to the bathroom.

When he came back, he got back in bed. I know he can hear my sniffles, and he doesn't even care. And it's absolutely killing me. I didn't think he was this mean...

And soon enough, his snores started up again...

Morning...

Jeff POV

When Riker's alarm went off, that's when I realized I'd actually gotten zero sleep. It was impossible. I was too upset, and his snores were too loud.

I wasn't crying anymore. I'd cried myself out of tears. And I was too exhausted to cry. I felt like a zombie.

Riker got up, and stumbled a few feet over to his closet. He wasn't wearing his glasses, and he was practically blind. And he crashed into the side of the door and groaned, rubbing his forehead. I tried not to laugh.

Riker laid down on the floor, and pushed his hands into his forehead. That can't have hurt that bad...

His alarm went off 4 minutes later, which made him get up. He shut off the alarm, and pushed his glasses on his face. He went back to his closet, grabbed his clothes, and left the room. His morning's not off to a good start...

I got up and quickly changed in our bedroom before Riker could come back. As tired as I was, I was wide awake. And since Riker was half asleep, I knew it'd take him a little longer than me to get dressed.

I went downstairs, and slid on my shoes. A few of my other siblings came down the stairs. I opened my suitcase, and put on one of my 2 sweatshirts. And then I brought my suitcase and backpack outside.

"Do you need help packing stuff, dad?" I asked.

"Sure, Jeff."

"Ok."

I brought out all the suitcases, and gave them to dad to put in the back of the van.

"Thanks for your help, Jeff."