Kindergarten

t r o y e

"Hi! I'm Troye" I say to the other little boy with brown hair and blue-green eyes. He was sitting at my table for two weeks but he never said anything. So I thought I would be nice if I went to say hi to him.

I looked at him as he colored and he looked at me with a soft smile, but he still didn't say anything. "I like your picture" I said to him.

He nodded

I colored my picture too. It was an elephant with a peanut, she was looking very cute. Ms. Newman was walking around the classroom and she smiled at my picture.

"Oh Tyler that is a lovely drawing" Ms. Newman said, but the boy -who's name was Tyler I guess- didn't pay attention to her. I thought that it was kind of rude, he could have said thank you. My mommy said that manners are important. Ms. Newman still smiled at him before moving on to the next table.

I looked at him, he was very quiet. I like him though; he didn't seem to have many friends. I want him to be my friend.

"Do you want to eat your lunch with me?" I asked. Tyler looked at me a blinked a few times. "You don't have too, but I have chocolate chip cookies" I added, I would love to share with him.

Tyler stared back for a period of time. I didn't want to rush him, I hate when grownups rush me so I was letting him take his time. Soon he nodded softly and I smiled. I was only going to have one cookie now and not two but that was okay.

We went back to coloring and he shared his blue crayon with me. I love the color red but now I think that blue is my favorite.

Soon freetime was over, we had to clean up and go to circle time. I put my crayons and drawing away, but Tyler didn't.

I paused, I wanted to wait for him.

"Troye hon, come to the carpet" Ms. Newman called. I stared at Tyler, I want him to come be my rug buddy. Usually I picked Casper but he could go with his friend Joe.

"Will you be my buddy?" I asked him, but this time he didn't look up at me. He looked at his paper like he did for Ms. Newman. "Tyler?" I said again.

He looked up at me with a shy look on his face and I smiled. "Will you?" I asked again.

He nodded his head yes and I felt very happy, I smiled and his eyes were very bright behind his purple glasses.

"Oh Tyler! I'm glad that you are joining us today. Why don't you and Troye sit on the blue squares" Ms. Newman said. At first I thought it was strange that she said that to Tyler but he never really came to circle time. He liked to be alone.

I sat criss cross apple sauce like we always do during circle time. Tyler sat next to me but he was so close that he was almost sitting on my feet. I didn't really mind, he was very silly.

I smiled at him because he seemed...Ms. Newman told be about this word...OH! Nervous. Yes he seemed very nervous.

"Troye you are our weather helper. Why don't you come up and dress the weather bear for today" Ms. Newman said. I loved that job and it was rare that you got your favorite job, because you get what you get and you don't get upset. But it really was my favorite.

I knew the weather, it was sunny and kind of cold so the bear needed the green light jacket, pants, and sneakers. But...I didn't want to answer by myself.

"I-I dunno..." I mumbled

"Okay, do you want to asked your rug buddy for help?"

I shook my head excitedly and she turned to Tyler. He froze like when the music goes off in freeze dance.

"Tyler and you help Troye?" she asked

Tyler looked down at the blue part of the carpet, not listening to Ms. Newman. It made me said that he didn't want to help me.

I went of to him and sat criss cross again. He flickered his eyes to me, I waited a minute as Ms. Newman got frustrated.

"Will you help me Ty?" I asked. He looked at the carpet again and didn't answer.

"Would you like to ask a different friend?" Ms. Newman asked nicely

I crossed my arms "No" I said firmly pouting. I looked at Tyler again

"Can you help me?" I asked again, he finally looked up at me and shook his head no

"I would like to pass" I said to Ms. Newman

She looked at me shocked "Are you sure Troye?"

I looked at Tyler one more time and smiled "Yes, I want to pass" I said crossing my legs next to my new friend. If he didn't want to neither did I.

I turned to face him again and smiled, he looked up at me but he still seemed nervous. "Will you be my friend?" I asked smiling brightly at him

This time he didn't look at the ground, he quickly looked at me. He smiled and nodded yes.

I like Tyler, I'm glad he's my friend