The Reluctant Messenger Part VI

There was a sharp pain in my arm as I propped myself up. I looked down towards it and was a sort of drip coming from what I could call a wall. Through it ran a clear liquid that looked like it had pieces of silver leaf in it. I felt the cooling sensation it had on my body as it ran through the veins in my arms.  I pulled at it and it came out from under my skin spilling silver all over me and the things around me.

I was in a bubble it that’s what I could call it, a silver, soft and stretchy spherical room that was just large enough for me to be comfortable in, the place where I was laying just a minute before had sunk and I was now left sitting of the floor of this strange thing. ‘What had happened to me?’ This place needed a mirror for me to see the damage I had done. With that a part of the wall flattened and became a reflective surface. I saw myself through the mirror, my hair was still raven black, I was still awkwardly tall and the tattoos on my body were darker than ever although there was a silver pattern shadowing them. ‘That’s strange...’ I thought to myself.

It took me a while to look down and realise that I was standing with nothing on and there weren’t any clothes in sight. As soon as that thought crossed my mind the mirror split to uncover a wardrobe and I picked out a few items including a thin white tee and black jeans. A pair of Dr. Martens appeared on my feet and then I felt the urge to leave this strange place that somehow was reading my thoughts. Heaven or hell, this was beginning to get a little strange.

I needed to find a way out and with that an opening formed in the bubble with a pop and I stepped out into a winding staircase somehow glowing with golden light. I followed it down hearing little popping sounds echo down the strange staircase then footsteps and faraway chattering sounds. I turned to look behind me in the direction of the footsteps and whilst not paying attention crashed into a small girl with candyfloss pink hair and skin so pale it looked like that of a porcelain doll.

“I’m so sorry!” I exclaimed as I tried to get a look at this girl with strange hair. She was gathering small orbs that seem to have fallen from her arms before I bumped into her. She moved her hair out of her warm golden-brown eyes and smiled.

“It’s okay,” she said. “I’m Belle, but I have to go now, I’m late!” She said as she hurried past me. I continued down the stairs ‘til they opened up into a room larger than a ballroom. There were many stairways like the one I had come from that all opened up into the same cavernous room. There was a group of people that all looked about in their teens, which I walked towards, sitting on a mound of the floor which actually looked quite comfortable and similar to the floor and walls of my “bubble”

I was shocked when a tall boy who looked like he had fallen out of a renaissance painting called me over to him.

“Hey you, Zophiel! Over here, I have a message for you.” He called from his seat surrounded by female admirers. I walked over to him and he peered at me from beneath his beanie, long curls splayed out underneath reaching the middle of his back.

“You look familiar, how do I know you?” He asked with a strange look on his face.

“I don’t know,” I said a little harshly. “You’re the one that called me over here by name.”

“Sorry about that,” he replied. “I was just told to give this to a girl that I was supposed to know because she ‘looked different’” he said as he passed me an orb with an odd look. “I’ve been waiting here all morn for you to come out of your pod!”

I guess I was going to get the strange treatment here in this dream as I was in the real world.  What was I even supposed to do with this ball thing that he had given me? I walked over to a spot far away from the blonde and his groupies and up sprouted a “ground seat” for me to sit on. I toyed with the orb between my thumb and forefinger. It was about the size of a baseball and as I held it, it began to glow a feint silver. I gripped it tightly and it glowed more. Brighter and hot too, so hot that I was unable to hold it in my hand anymore. I dropped the evil thing at my feet and took a look at my burnt hand. I could see silver seeping from where I had been holding it and silver where my flesh and bones should have been. The wound began to close by itself and I began to feel tired. My eyes closed just before the small pink haired figure reached me.

I had had enough of this waking up in unfamiliar places. This time I was in a room that resembled that of a hospital but I could tell by the walls that I was still in this strange place. This room like the others ones glowed gold. And again I was hooked up to a drip full of the silvery fluid. The bed didn’t give the way that the one in my room did, nor did anything I want appear before my eyes at the thought of it. I couldn’t control this room.

 I felt much better than I did before, smelling classique again. I heard a popping sound and a bright golden light filled the room. It took my eyes a moment to adjust but it seemed as though it was coming from the woman that had now sat herself down at my bedside. I took one look at her and I knew I was dead. This could not be real. I could not be seeing my mother.