Chapter Sixteen

I spring awake the moment I hear the front door close

I spring awake the moment I hear the front door close. Blake tiptoes into the room but freezes when he notices me. He stands taller despite the bright red blush forming on his cheeks.

"Should I ask why you're only dressed in your briefs?"

Blake cocks his head to the side as a thoughtful expression crosses his face. As he does that, a hot pink feather tumbles out of his wavy brown hair and flutters to the ground.

"Now I'm intrigued." I grin. "Also a little mad because you never messaged me last night. What happened to you?"

Charlotte murmurs something in her sleep, then snuggles into the blanket. I slide out of bed and creep toward the hallway. Blake swings around and follows me into the kitchen.

I rest against the bench while he heads to the fridge to grab the water jug.

"So, what happened?" I frown.

"The whole night is a tad fuzzy," he admits.

"Now I'm worried that something really bad happened. I shouldn't have interfered with your plans."

Blake shakes his head as he fills a glass with water. Anticipation riddles through me as I watch him down the water.

"Jude took my phone sothat I wasn't spending the night messaging you, so that's why I never messaged. I thought they would have told you something."

"I'll grill the boys then." I glower.

"From what I remember, Jude and Ben decided to invite a hen's party to drink with us. Between the clubs and bars, I ended up in my underwear tapped to a pole with a pink feather bower and a pearl necklace."

"Shit! What about your phone and wallet?"

"I need you to message the guys and see if one of them have it. If not, we're not having any of them in the bridal party," he grumbles.

"I take it they didn't set you free?"

"No, I had people wandering past until a tradie on the way to work pulled over and cut me free. He was kind enough to drop me at the traino and give me money for a ticket."

"Maybe you should have gone to the strippers," I murmur.

"I vaguely remember going to the male strippers." He shakes his head.

"Really?" I slap my hand over my mouth to prevent myself from laughing.

"It was the worst experience of my life. They are so muscly and . . . I need to hit the gym before the wedding."

"Tell me about it! Have you ever seen an ugly stripper? They all look perfect – perfect boobs, perfect body, ugh." Although, I'm not committed to going to the gym.

Blake laughs as he wraps his arm around my neck. I snuggle into his chest and sigh with dismay.

"I only want you, Ava."