Chapter 39 - A Sweet Miracle

A Sweet Miracle.

The sweet gush of the air conditioner brushed through my face as Klaus slammed the emergency door open. He had lifted me up bridal style and was in a panic mode. His arms and chest were very tense and his eyes were nearly popping out of their sockets.

"I need a doctor! She's about to give birth!!" He shouted and then a few nurses came rushing to us with a wheelchair.

My breathes started shortening and my heart started racing. I was truly scared, no matter how many videos and books I've read about it, nothing really prepared me for it. The nurse brang into a room where she hooked up an IV with a Pitocin drip, and outer monitors. I was terrified because the nurse warned me about my contractions starting up soon. She then left, leaving Klaus and I alone. He was squeezing my hand so tightly that is was starting to hurt slightly. "Breathe okay? I'm here and I'm not going to leave!" He says shakily. I could tell he was extremely nervous.

"I'm okay, the contractions hasn't started yet." I replied calmly. I forced a smile and he sighed in relief. The tension that formed on his shoulders lessened and he sat down beside me. About a half hour later I had my first contraction, and thought I was being ripped in two! I yelped suddenly squeezing Klaus's hand subconciously. He quicky stood up trying to comfort me. I realized what he was trying to do but I was in no mood for him to touch me. The pain was just unbearable that I felt that the slightlest touch would send me screaming till my voice no longer worked. I had to put up with the constant contractions for about 6 more hours, I eventually got used to it but the pain never left. Every time it came back, I felt the same unbearable pain - some even more. Klaus was saying something to me but I couldn't clearly understand over my loud excessive breathing. By now my whole face was covered in sweat and basically the rest of my body.

I was in labour for about 3 more hours and during that time the pain felt 10x worse than it did before. I kept thinking to myself that it'll be over soon but it felt like every second was an hour and every movement was slowed down. The pain of the actual birth was unexplainable but as soon as I saw my baby girl in the doctors arms, everything suddenly felt numb. The pain dissapeared all because of the sight of a beautiful baby girl right in front of me. I glanced over at Klaus who took off his mask and walked over to my baby and taking her from the doctor.

"It is a girl." The doctor smiled.

"I wanna see her.." I croaked. Klaus slowly placed her in my very arms and I smiled weakly. "She's exquiste." A tear escaped from my eyes and I watched as she opened her eyes and looking brightly at me. "Hello little one."

--------------------------------------------

It has been 2 days since the birth of Elizabeth and I had convinced the doctor to let me leave. I calmly packed my clothes, stuffing it into a clearly tiny bag just as Elijah came in holding Lizzie.

"Are you ready?" He asks softly. I turned around and saw that Lizzie had fallen asleep in his arms. I nodded and adjusted the strands of my bag before following him out of the hostipal.

The drive home was fairly simple and quiet as both Elijah and I didn't want to disturb Elizabeth's sleep. "I know that the past few days haven't been easy.." Elijah finally spoke up. "But I am just letting you know now that this childs life will not be normal."

Bewildered, I turned to him. "What are you talking about?"

"She is Nik's only child." Elijah explained further. "I can garauntee you, there will be difficult times."

I felt bleaked knowing Elizabeth won't be getting the childhood she deserved but she was after all half vampire and half werewolf. How else was I suppose to make her life easier.. "I think she should have a normal childhood." I said.