Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Rose Weasley watched the countryside rush by in a blur. Sitting on the Hogwarts Express, speeding towards her second home. Leaning her head against the glass window, she was lost in her thoughts, day-dreaming about the upcoming year at Hogwarts.
"What do you think sixth year's going to be like Rose?" asked her friend Alice asked.
"Rose are you even listening to me? Rose!"

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?" Rose answered, startled out of her reverie. She looked up to see her best friend's startling blue eyes looking at her, her shoulder-length, golden-blonde hair falling in front of her eyes.

"I simply asked what you think this year will be like?" Alice said, sighing at her friend's absent-mindedness.

"Oh, um, I don't know. Fun, I hope."

"Congratulations on your O.W.L results, they were so good! You should be proud!"

Rose just smiled at her friend.

"No really, you should be. Six Outstandings and three Exceeds Exceptions! You've got some serious brains in that head of yours." Alice continued, "I can't wait to start Apparation lessons. It will be so much easier to go everywhere once we have our license, and these lessons will really help us. We're so lucky we'll be seventeen by the test date next year. Amelia was devastated when she saw the cut-off date, poor thing."

As Alice continued to wonder about the year, Rose dazed off again, dreaming about nothing in particular, just simply letting her mind wander. Alice realised her friend was no longer listening, recognising the familiar far away look in her eyes, so she gave up on trying to engage her in the conversation and pulled out her book and quickly becoming lost in its fictional world. Moments later, a young, redhead boy opened the compartment door, startling both girls inside.
"Hugo what do you want?" Rose asked, annoyed to see her younger brother, as he rarely talked to her turning the school term unless he wanted something.

"No need to be so harsh, Sister dear." Hugo said sarcastically. "I just wandered if you had some money, I want to get some chocolate frogs and liquorice wands from the trolley, maybe some pumpkin pasties too."

"What happened to the money mum gave you?"

"Lost it in a bet with Lorcan. We were arguing about..."

"I don't really care." Rose interrupted.

"So are you going to give me the money or what?" Hugo asked eagerly.

"Fine." Rose huffed, rummaging around in her bag for a few sickles. "That should last you." She said, handing him the coins.

"Thanks!" Hugo said with a smile before quickly running off.

"Come on." Alice said before Rose could become distracted again. "We better change into our robes before we forget and it's too late."

Rose simply nodded in agreement.