Chapter 29

For the rest of the week, Rose only saw Scorpius in Advanced Potions. She tried talking to him, asking him what was wrong, but he ignored her completely, only talking to her about the potion. Rose was quickly becoming frustrated with him. After a particularly infuriating Potions lesson with Scorpius, Alice had asked Rose what was going on between them. Rose had snapped at Alice, "What makes you think there's something wrong?! Even if there was, it's not like it's any of your business!" she'd yelled. Rose had instantly regretted her moment of anger. Alice's eyes welled up with tears, she'd muttered a soft apology then walked off. Rose found her and immediately apologised, and thankfully Alice had said there were no hard feelings between them.

But now Rose felt nothing but confusion about her relationship with Scorpius. Were they still together? Or was Scorpius ignoring her because he didn't have the guts to break up with her? Questions kept chasing themselves around and around in Rose's head, and none of them led to answers.

On Saturday morning, the list of all those chosen to fight the Dementors was posted on the notice board. To no one's surprise, Rose was picked. Also among the names was Jerry Boot, James and Albus, Alice and Natalie. Rose also saw Scorpius' name on the list. She wasn't too happy about having to spend that time with him- it was frustrating enough having to go through a Potions lesson. Since he'd started avoiding her, Rose's feelings towards him had changed. If he suddenly decided to start being warm to her again, she wasn't too sure if she'd respond in the same way. He'd been so cold toward her, they couldn't just instantly move on without talking about it, could they? Although one thing she was sure of was that she wanted to know what form his Patronus was.

At the bottom of the notice were instructions telling them to gather in the Entrance Hall at 1pm sharp that afternoon where they would be given further details.

Along with the other selected students, Rose gathered in the Entrance Hall that afternoon, ready to go well before 1 o'clock. Rose was almost shaking with nerves. The last time she'd actually fought a Dementor it had been only one, but this time it would be a whole group. She was glad for the support of the around, Rose noticed many of the others were looking nervous. Jerry was extremely pale and a seventh year girl was sitting on a bench, her head in her hands.

"How you feeling Rosy?" a voice said from behind Rose. She turned to see James behind her, wearing his usual cheeky grin.

"Nervous, but otherwise fine." Rose replied, smiling at her cousin. "How about you?"

"Not too bad. A lot better than some of the others. Look at poor Georgia over there." James said, pointing at the seventh year who looked on the verge of fainting. "She was just as surprised as everyone else when she successfully cast a Patronus."

"Did it take much to convince your dad to let you and Al come?" Rose asked.

"Nah. He thought it would be a good learning experience for us. Although all three of us will probably get a Howler from mum tomorrow." he laughed.

Rose chuckled. "Is he coming with us to the Forest?"

"He was planning on it, but was called back to London for some Auror business." James explained "Something to do with the Death Eater breakout."

Rose was about to reply when the sound of footsteps echoed throughout the hall as several teachers walked down the Grand Staircase. Headmistress Horton lead them, with Professor Forsvar, Professor Longbottom and about four others following behind. "Right! Is everyone here?" Horton called out. She did a quick headcount and her lips pursed tightly. "One person is missing."

"Sorry I'm late." A voice said. Rose watched Scorpius rush down the Grand Staircase, walking quickly to join the group.

"Well, thank you for deciding to grace us with your presence, Mr Malfoy." Horton said, gazing disapprovingly at Scorpius. "Alright, let's get this over and done with."

Horton pushed through the crowd of students and led them out of the castle. Rose stared at the tightly-packed trees, wondering what awaited her in the darkness of the forest.