Chapter 23

The rest of the day was uneventful. The news that Harry Potter was the specialist Defence teacher had gotten around and almost everyone was excited to see him. For the last lesson of the day Rose had Potions with Scorpius. She was really happy to see Scorpius, she'd barely talked to him since the kiss and Rose wanted to spend some time with were beginning the Chelidonium Miniscula potion, which would take just over a month to prepare. Professor Dippet sat at his desk, marking essays, completely ignoring the class. The Potions Master had decided that since this was an assessment he was offering absolutely no help."So is Harry Potter a good teacher?" Scorpius asked Rose as they were setting up the equipment."He's really good." Rose said. "Although it's weird having my uncle as a teacher and hearing people call him 'Professor' and 'Sir' When do you have Defence?" she asked Scorpius.

"Only at the end of the week." Scorpius answered, turning away.

Rose saw a look cross his face. "What's wrong?" she asked him.

"Nothing." Scorpius said nonchalantly.

"You're not fooling me. What's bothering you?"

Scorpius sighed. "Harry Potter and my dad aren't exactly the best of friends. I highly doubt Harry is going to be particularly nice and friendly to me." Scorpius explained.

Rose was about to reply when Alice walked over to the table, her arms filled with potion ingredients. "Will you two stop chatting and get on with setting up the equipment!" she exclaimed.

Scorpius glared at Alice for interrupting them. She ignored him, dumping the ingredients on the table, she started sorting them into the order they would be using them. "We need to start by mashing the pufferfish eyes." Alice screwed up her face in a disgusted look. "Here you can do that." she said, handing the mortar, pestle and jar of eyes to Scorpius. Rose could tell Alice didn't like having Scorpius in their group very much. Scorpius looked at Alice with an incredulous look, but sighed and opened the jar. Rose quietly laughed at their childish behaviour.

Halfway through the lesson, Harry Finnigan accidentally added an extra peacock feather to the potion, causing it to explode, destroying the cauldron and setting the wooden table alight. Everyone around him quickly backed away and Professor Dippet rushed forward, dousing the fire with a stream of water from his wand. Straight away, Professor Dippet snapped at the class to get back to their potion. "The potion isn't going to brew itself!" he'd spat at them. Harry's eyebrows and eyelashes were singed off and his nose and hand that had dropped in the feather were covered in angry, red burns. Dippet sent him to the Hospital Wing and berated the other two boys in Harry's group who were laughing hysterically.

Throughout the entire class, Alice and Scorpius kept throwing each other sour looks. Alice continually gave Scorpius the undesirable tasks, such as gutting the horned toad. Scorpius kept looking to Rose, as if expecting her to say something to her friend, but Rose wanted to stay out of their petty argument as much as possible. The bell finally rang and the group carefully carried the boiling potion to the windowsill, where it would brew overnight in the light from the quarter moon.

Once they were out of class, Alice made a mumbled excuse to Rose, telling her she was going to the Library, then stormed off down the corridor. Scorpius huffed beside Rose, "Well she's not in a good mood."

"Well you weren't exactly the nicest person to her." Rose said exasperatedly.

"She was the one who interrupted us. And then she kept giving me all the gross tasks. My hands still smell like toad guts." he argued.

"So what if she interrupted us!" Rose exclaimed angrily. "It's so stupid to hold a grudge against something as petty as that."

"So you don't care about how rude Alice was to me?!" Scorpius said back. They'd stopped walking now and were facing each other. Some people had started to stare.

"Can't you get it into your head that you were both being incredibly childish!" Rose was very annoyed.

"She didn't even say sorry!" Scorpius was almost yelling, but he was trying to keep calm, not wanting to draw attention.

"Fine! Believe what you want!" Rose huffed, walking off down the corridor. She was so frustrated that Scorpius had tried to drag her into this and make her take his side.

She wandered though the corridors, not really paying attention to where she ended up. All she really wanted was a place to sit for a bit where no one would disturb her. Rose had strayed to a deserted section of the castle and had unintentionally walked through the same corridors several times. She angrily pushed open a pair of doors she thought led to an empty classroom. Rose stood in the doorway, stunned at what she saw before her. Instead of an empty classroom, the room was small and cosy. A big, red velvet cushioned chair was place next to a wooden table in front a glowing fireplace. The warmth from the fire was enough to warm the room but not overheat the space, perfect for the early-December weather. The room looked exactly like a place Rose had been thinking of escaping to. The sight of it had already calmed her down a bit, but she was still angry about Scorpius and Alice's actions.

Crossing the threshold, Rose sat down in the armchair, inking into the cushioned seat. She then pulled out her homework and quill and spread it out on the table. Rose needed something to take her mind of her row with Scorpius and despite trying to do her homework, she still spent several minutes fuming over the argument. She had to get out a new piece of parchment and start again because she'd been pressing down too hard with the quill, creating blotches of ink on the page and making her words unreadable. Although once she started focussing on what she was doing, her writing became legible. After finishing her History of Magic homework, she set down her quill and sank back into the chair.

Alice had been rude to Scorpius, yet Scorpius hadn't dealt with it well and had been equally as rude. Rose closed her eyes and sighed. 'Why did her best friend and boyfriend have to be arguing?' She thought to herself. 'If Scorpius or Alice tries to drag me into this I'm just going to walk off,' she decided. 'It's their argument and I'm not going to be a part of it.'

She glanced at her watch and gasped at the time. Several hours had passed and she hadn't even noticed. Quickly stuffing her things into her bag, she rushed out of the room, taking note of the tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy opposite the door.