Chapter 28

Both of the girls quietly shushed Rose, but there was no need, as Mr Binns was still droning on, unaware of anything but himself. "Could I borrow this for a moment?" Rose asked the girl, who nodded in reply.

Rose turned back to her desk and spread out the newspaper, staring at the title. After a few moments of digesting the shock, she began reading.

MASS DEATH EATER BREAKOUT

In the early hours of this morning at Azkaban Prison, inmates were awoken by the noise of several, loud explosions. Guards rushed to the source of the noise where they found the maximum-security cells obliterated and the occupants nowhere to be found. Several Death Eaters who were close to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and responsible for killing many wizards, witches and Muggles during one or both of the most recent wizarding wars are among escapees.

In their escape, the Death Eaters killed several guards and further injured many other innocent bystanders.

The Daily Prophet tried to reach Mr Harry Potter, Head Auror, for a statement yet he was unavailable. Mr Potter is currently assisting in teaching at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, raising arguments that he is neglecting his duty to protect the magical community. Members of the public claim Potter is abandoning his post in favour of visiting his children, who are students at the  school...

The article went on to warn the public of the escapees suspected whereabouts and speculated about poor security standards at Azkaban since the replacement of the Dementors. Below the article were several pictures of the escaped Death Eaters. Some of them scowled; whilst others mouths were open in silent, screams of rage; and a few stared blankly, the life gone from their eyes.

One picture in particular greatly unsettled Rose. The man simply stared, but it wasn't a blank expression like some of the others. His eyes were deep and sunken, yet the look in them was one of murderous rage, as if he still had unfinished business; someone out there he was coming to get.

Rose tore her eyes away from the picture and scowled at the article. How on Earth could they say Harry was neglecting his duty? He was the one who pretty much saved them all! If he hadn't been around, times would probably be a lot tougher.

The mention of Dementors also brought Rose's thoughts back to the problem in the Forest. The group would be ridding the Forest of the hooded creature that weekend, and Rose was dreading the possibility of experiencing the dark, empty sadness again. The Dementors in the Forest were also untamed, they wouldn't hesitate to lower their hood and perform the Dementor's Kiss, sucking the soul out of the poor victim. Rose suspected that had been the fate of some of the Death Eaters pictured in The Daily Prophet. Rose plopped the newspaper back on the girl's desk, who was still deep in conversation with her friend.

Maybe the article was why Scorpius was so worried, Rose thought. She knew his father and grandfather had been on Voldemort's side during the war. Rose had overheard, many times, her father, mother and uncle discussing in whispers late in the night their opinions of the Malfoy family: and few of their comments were positive.

Rose decided that she would seek out Scorpius as soon as she could, telling him she couldn't care less about some stupid newspaper article- it didn't change who he was. When the bell rang, Rose quickly gathered her things and rushed to the Great Hall, thinking that would go there at some point.

She spent all of her break there, sitting at the Gryffindor table, keeping her eyes peeled for any sign of Scorpius' white-blonde hair or startling grey eyes, yet he didn't turn up. When it came time for Rose to start moving to her next class, she got up slowly and dawdled for as long as possible. Yet soon the Hall emptied and Rose was left alone. Conceding defeat for the time being, she sighed and walked to her next class, hoping Scorpius would make an appearance soon.