Chapter 22

Chapter 22 ~ To never forget

His voice vanished into thin air when Stiles realized what he was doing, but more importantly, Stiles stopped talking because there she stood. Crying right in front of him as he practically bombarded her with his feelings.
''Wha- No.. Nova? Don't cry, I'm sorry.'' He whispered and stepped even closer. Mentally cursing to himself at what he had caused, Stiles looked down at the girl that wouldn't look up from the ground. But she did wrap her arms around Stiles. 
Taken back, but mainly relieved he wrapped her arms around her too.
''Thank god you two found me in the woods that day.'' She sobbed softly and smiled against Stiles' shoulder. He could feel the ends of her lips curl up against his chest. He could feel her entire body calming against his.
And for a moment, everything seemed calm again.
''It can't be that bad, that it? A foster home, I mean. Within two years I will have turned eighteen and then I'll just fly back here and... I don't know. Could I build a shelter in the Preserve? Is that illegal?'' Nova thought out loud as she felt a soft squeeze in her hand, obviously coming from Stiles.
She looked around and saw how quiet Scott had been for a long period of time. She sighed deeply at the unexcited looks their friends gave her. ''Who am I kidding, this is going to wreck me..'' She added and lay down on Stiles' bed.

,

The next two days happened so fast that Nova couldn't even take a moment to appreciate the time she had had here. Every second she could only think about her mother showing up with that stupid announcement of hers. Stiles wasn't doing much better either. He barely could talk to Nova without thinking what would happen.
"How are you?" The past few days Scott had been the one to take care of her so much. It was strange, as Stiles barely was around her compared to the days before everything had taken a wrong turn. Now that it was still possible, Nova wanted to turn the favor to Scott and show that she too cared about him. He deserved it.
''Let's just. Let's just say I'm not that excited about your departure.'' He sighed and threw his PlayStation controller on his bed. Sure, his relationship with Nova differed entirely from the one she had with Stiles but throughout the days Scott had grown to care too. She had become his friend.
''Why does it have to be so soon, though.'' She growled and pressed her back against the bed.
Scott shrugged, ''I know it sucks, but hey? Stiles told me he wanted to spend this evening with you so why don't you... I don't know? Go make yourself even prettier? That's what girls do right?''
Nova laughed, ''The two of you are so sneaky. And fine, I'll go get ready. When does he get here?'
''Six. Now, hurry up.''

,

''Good evenings, ma'am.'' Stiles grinned widely as he looked out of the window of his car to where Nova stood. She chuckled at him before she got into the Jeep. Then, for a moment her smile and everything happy about her disappeared.
''Twelve hours, Stiles.'' She reminded him with a pout and watched him nod silently.
''Twelve hours.'' He repeated in a murmur, ''Twelve hours to do- to have-'' He kept stumbling over his words, almost as if he was hiding something.
''Twelve hours to never forget.'' She smiled satisfied and Stiles nodded to it.
He raised his fist in the air and started driving, ''First stop, Beacon Hills Mountains!'' He yelled and speeded off as the music started playing. An immediate smile appeared on Nova's face when she recognized the Neck Deep album on the radio. Gratefully she looked at Stiles, who shortly looked at her with a proud smile on his face.
''I've been stuck in the middle pages, hung up on a cross that I created!'' For the entire car ride, Nova sang along with the lyrics, knowing precisely every last word of every song from that specific band. Stiles still couldn't get over her unexpected music taste, but he adored it.

The two stopped right somewhere on the mountain, deep in the preserve. They got out of the Jeep and no longer with hesitation did Stiles grab her hand and drag her with him to the edge of the hill. ''You're going to love this.'' He promised her and after a short walk, they reached the edge.
Her eyes widened massively when she saw how deep the ground lay below the cliff. She stepped back, pretty much into Stiles' arms and closed her eyes as she felt his arms tighten around her waist. She knew, and he did too. Nothing was going to happen between them. Nonetheless, the both of them would do anything to make this the best last evening.
As he stood behind her, she felt his warm breath on her neck. She adored it. There was this almost unhearable stutter in his breathing as if he hesitated about something.
''I must admit too, it feels like I have known you for ages.'' She confessed, feeling Stiles rest his head on top of her frizzy and horribly organized brown waves of hair. She heard him chuckle.
''Oh yeah? What am I like?'' He challenged her, aiming for a certain comment to be made.
''You are Stiles. Hilarious, smart, adventurous, honest and incredibly caring. God, I can't imagine my life without you. And without Scott..'' She murmured, but he refused to let her sink into that sadness. Tonight would be fun.
The tiny houses and buildings in front of them were all lit, shining a bit of light into the darkness of the evening. It was peaceful, silent and calm. Everything Nova had ever dreamed off was right in this town.
''So, I'm not a sexy beast?'' He asked in all seriousness.
She erupted into laughter, one that Stiles hadn't heard in these past days. Nova escaped from his embrace as she stumbled around, ''You?'' She teased and spun around in circles, ''A sexy beast?''
''Oh, don't deny it. You're secretly all over me.'' He said, knowing that he was right but simply hoping for her to admit it. To honestly admit it.
''Shit, you caught me.'' Nova laughed and playfully hit him on the shoulder, ''It's late. We should get some food, don't you think?''
Stiles nodded and led her back to his car. Neatly opening the door for her, he jumped in the driver's seat. Then, like before, with one fist up in the air, Stiles started screaming.

''Next stop, the Stilinski Household!''

,

After a lovely dinner, Stiles dragged Nova into his bedroom, as if he was going to show her something. Instead, once the two entered the room, Stiles grabbed his disposable camera and pulled Nova closer before he lay his arm around her shoulder. An immediate blush appeared on her cheeks.

''What, you think you're going to forget my face?'' She questioned with the slightest chuckle.
Stiles pouted, ''Stop asking questions and make a crazy photo with me, please.'' He begged with a hint of excitement, even if the kid himself knew just how well this would be the only photo he would have to hold onto.
Nova grinned widely and grabbed the camera so that she was in charge of pushing the buttons. She crossed her eyes and grinned at the camera as she felt Stiles pulling one of his crazy faces. Quickly making the photo, they then changed poses. Stiles was now smiling widely and sweetly. Nova stepped right in front of Stiles and crouched a little down so that Stiles could rest his head on top of hers.

Another photo was made.
''We should be models, to be honest.'' Nova chuckled and gave the camera back to Stiles, who safely put the item away in his closet.
''You mean like.. Victoria-secret models?'' An extremely large grin appeared on his face before he received a nudge from Nova.
''More like foot, perhaps leg-modeling.'' She walked over to his window and looked outside. She couldn't see the preserve. If it hadn't been for Stiles she would go out and rest for the last time in the woods. It felt so damn good, she didn't want to forget it.
''Ha. You wish you could see my legs.'' Stiles joked, but she didn't hear him anymore. She was too caught up in her thoughts. Never had she actually grieved at her father's grave, but it wasn't like she wanted to that badly. Hiking through those woods at midnight felt like grieving to her. A good kind of grief.
Stiles put a blindfold on Nova and brought her to his Jeep. She started panicking, scared to get sick from all the motion, but she didn't want to ruin whatever he had planned for her so instead Nova stayed quite. He seemed to have put a lot of effort into this thing. Stiles was acting strangely mysterious, it had to be a good surprise.
Throughout the ride, Nova noticed her blindfold wasn't that tight around her head. She could easily jump twice and it would fall off but then again, ruining the surprise would ruin the entire evening. Also, before she could even consider peeking through it the car ride was over.
They entered a building and Nova's motion sickness started to fade away slowly. Quietly she followed where his hand was bringing her. It took him an eternity to get her on the right spot, but once she was they stood still. She still couldn't see a thing.
''Okay, I need to grab something real quick. Just wait here until I'm back- And don't peek.'' He reminded her and without waiting for a reply he walked away from her.
To pass the time she started counting. She reached twenty when she started leaning on her left foot. She passed thirty when she leaned on her right. She heard noises she couldn't place. She leaned on her left foot again at the count of forty when the blindfold fell from her face. Her automatic response was opening her eyes, planning on putting the blindfold back on.
But when she saw what was going on in front of her, she couldn't put it back on. Her jaw dropped and all she could do was observe Stiles with massive eyes.