Slash - an Article by @elveloy

Slash is a popular sub-genre of fan-fiction which focuses on same-sex attraction between characters, generally forging relationships between characters who were not identified as gay or lesbian in the original series. Although slash was at least partly driven by a LGBTQI rebellion against compulsory hetero pairings in films and TV, a lot of slash was written by women, in response to the lack of strong female characters in speculative fiction at the time.

Slash has had a strong link with science fiction from its beginning, in fact most people consider slash originated with Star Trek in the 1970s - with fans pairing Spock and Kirk. Stories appeared in fan-edited 'fanzines,' but they were often hard to find outside conventions. However, since the internet, this genre has exploded. Websites, starting with fanfiction.net in 1988, and online 'fanzines,' dedicated to fandoms, including all the various series of Star Trek, Xena, Stargate, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, became common, with tens of thousands of slash stories available. More recently, Harry Potter, Dr Who and Supernatural have joined the throng, not to mention One Direction!

Wattpad itself has thousands of fanfic slash stories - (just check out #larrystylinson !!) Like hetero fanfiction, stories range from light romance to strongly erotic - so be careful if you want to browse.

My story, Dalek Encounter is a PG (very mild) slash fanfic featuring Dr Who - which will probably make you smile more than anything else!