Search and Rescue - Pt. I

A/N: Now it's well known I'm not a massive fan of fanfic. That's not to say, however, that I've never written any. One of the first things I wrote and posted (though long-since removed) to Wattpad, in fact, was a fan fiction novella based on one of my favourite shows of all time, Primeval. And this is it. I've given it a wee spruce up, a little edit (not a very thorough one, I must admit) but this is, pretty much, exactly as it was and split into three parts. For the sake of continuity, or lack thereof in respect to the show, I should point out that this was written prior to the release of Season Four.

Cal stumbled forwards and held out his left arm in the hope that it would find purchase on something, anything, that would prevent him from falling face first to the ground. He had no such luck, however, and he hit the dusty ground heavily, crying out in pain as he did so. He could feel the blood as it poured from the deep wound to his abdomen. He had applied a crude tourniquet of sorts but even so, he was losing a lot of blood very quickly. He should have known better than to go up against that... monster? Not that he had had much choice in the matter and besides, he could not have outrun it had he tried.

He tried to push himself to his feet but his efforts were in vain. His head became foggy as the welcoming arms of unconsciousness reached out towards him, offering him relief from the searing pain in his gut. Cal was in no position to protest and within a matter of seconds, everything went black.

He awoke to find that the day had turned to night, which meant that he must have been out cold for a few hours at the very least. As his eyes adjusted to the gloom he realised that he was laying beside a fire and as he stared through the flames, he could see that there was someone sat cross-legged on the opposite side of the fire. Cal remained stationary as he tried to make out who it was that was sat there, but the combination of the flames and the concussion made it almost impossible for him to make out any details at all, so in the end he drew attention to the fact that he was awake by shifting his position.

"How are you feeling?" The voice was male, and although Cal still found it impossible to make out any of his features, he found that he could take a little comfort in the fact that he knew more than he did a few seconds ago.

"Like crap," Cal replied honestly, for the first time noticing that his wound had been bound much more effectively than he himself had managed, and the pain that had once seared through his gut was much, much less. "What happened?"

"You managed to get yourself all sliced up by a 'Raptor," he replied almost jovially. "You're lucky to be alive, son, and to be fair if I hadn't found you then you'd be nothing but a pile of bones about now."

"A 'Raptor?" Cal asked, dubiously. "A dinosaur? Where the Hell am I?"

"Late Cretaceous," was the reply, as if that was any kind of normal response. "My guess is that you stumbled through an Anomaly. Do you remember something that looked like diamonds floating in the air?"

"Worryingly, yes I do," Cal replied following a moment's thought. "I was... out walking in the woods..."

"Sounds about right," he replied with a chuckle. "Anyway, try and get some sleep. We've a long day ahead of us tomorrow."

"We do?"

"Yeah... I've been searching for an Anomaly to get me home for over a year, and you came through one so it's got to be around here somewhere."

"Um... OK, I guess," Cal replied, but he sounded unsure even to himself. If he was completely honest, he was not sure whether or not he was dreaming. Regardless, he rolled over so that his back was to the fire, and closed his eyes.