Search and Rescue - Pt. III

James Lester remained stoic as between them, Captain Becker and Jess Parker explained to him what they had seen in the Triassic. Once they had finished their explanation he took a few deep breaths before picking up the telephone receiver.

"Get me the Minister." The statement did not leave anyone under any illusions; James Lester was pissed. A few moments passed by in silence as he was put on hold but eventually, he spoke again. "Sir, we may have a problem."

"What is it, James?" Despite the fact that Lester had the receiver to his ear both Becker and Jess could hear the Minister as if he were on speaker. "I was in a rather important conference call."

"My apologies Sir."

"Yes, yes," the Minister paused and sighed heavily. "Well, spit it out man."

"It's Matt Anderson, Sir," unlike most of his peers, Lester was in no way intimidated by the Minister. "I believe that he has gone rogue."

"Oh my, we don't have another Helen Cutter on our hands, do we?"

"I sincerely hope not," Lester glanced towards Becker as he spoke but found no assistance there, in fact all he did get was a shrug. "It does not appear to be anything like that Sir, no."

"Well that's a small mercy at least," again, the Minister sighed. "Do what you need to do James, you have my full backing of course."

"Thank you Sir, there is one other thing as I have you on the line."

"And what might that be?"

"The rest of my team, Sir," Lester had an inkling that the Minister knew exactly where Connor and Abby were, both of whom Lester would need before the ARC could stop Matt from doing something even more ridiculously stupid than he already had done. "You wouldn't know where they are, would you?"

"I do not know what you are talking about, I'm sure," the Minister replied, a reply which Lester recognised instantly as a lie.

"Please, David, don't treat me as a child."

"Fine," the Minister replied in the manner of one caught out in a lie, which is exactly what he was. "They're with Jenny Lewis, Danny Quinn, and Special Forces Captain Mitchell. Look, you might as well come down to Number Ten and I'll fill you in fully... Say, twenty-five minutes?"

"We'll see you there," Lester replied with a nod as he terminated the call.

***

Twenty-Five minutes later, Becker brought the four-wheel drive to a halt at the gates to Downing Street. Upon seeing Sir James Lester in the passenger seat the officer on duty waved them through straight away and Becker drove slowly across the cobbles and stopped directly outside Number Ten. Two armed police officers stood, one on either side of the railings that were outside the residence and as he clambered out through the passenger door Lester shielded his face as he did not want to be caught on camera by the lingering paparazzi. The three of them were quickly ushered inside and into a dining room of sorts. No sooner were they seated did a maid enter carrying a silver tray upon which was both a tea and a coffee pot, along with four china cups and a sugar bowl. Moments later the Minister entered the room and without so much as a squeak the maid poured him a cup of coffee before offering the pot around to the three visitors, all of whom accepted.

"So," Lester said with a slight shrug once the maid had left the room. "Where are my people, Sir?"

The Minister did not reply. Instead he slid a clear plastic wallet across the table towards Lester.