Chapter 16.5

"But I am interested in this story of Snapper saving your life," Corvus said.

Ward felt his cheeks burn. "Well I was – I mean -" Then his anger suddenly flared up inside him. "What did you want? Buying me from Jaggles? For what? To send me to the mines? Or – or hand me over to the Brotherhood?"

"Ward, what are you talking about?" Carmen said.

" He hasn't told us everything. Have you?" he said, turning on Corvus.

"No, not everything," Corvus said. "But as for sending you to the mines, or handing you over to the Brotherhood, I confess I'm in the dark."

Ward laughed. "I was there! On the deck that night. When you told the Captain."

Corvus looked genuinely confused. Ward thought he was the best actor he'd ever seen. Then, suddenly, his face broke out into a huge grin.

"What's so funny?"

"You thought I was – oh dear." He put his hand over his mouth. Ludwig shifted from foot to foot on the mantelpiece, bobbing his head back and forth, as if imitating the old man. "Ward, do you remember what I had with me on the ship?"

Ward thought back. "Your staff?"

"Think harder."

"Well you had a chest."

"And?"

"The only other thing was that bird cage with the canary in it. But -"

At this, Carmen, who had been watching them both closely, broke out into giggles.

"What is so funny?"

"Ward," Carmen said, her eyes shining. "Do you know what canaries are used for?"

"No."

"They use them in the mines. The miners take a -" she broke into fresh giggles "- a canary down the mine with them and – well this isn't so funny – but if there's any gas down there the canary dies, and they have time to get out before they do too. He wasn't talking about sending you to the mines you idiot. He meant the canary."

At this both Carmen and Corvus exploded with laughter.

"You mean I faked my own death for nothing?" Ward said.

"It was a fine trick," Corvus said. "You had the captain and the crew fooled at least."

"If you knew, why did you let me go?"

"Instinct mostly. I had a feeling you'd be okay. When I heard Snapper had given you over to Nick I figured it was as safe an option as any, though I kept a close eye on you."

"But I still don't understand. Why were you so interested in me in the first place?"

A canary!

*farts*