Chapter 12.4

"Who the (unprintable word) are they?" Wrinkler pointed a dirty finger at Carmen and Slops.

"None of your business Flip," Mildew said as she entered the Okies' common room. She was studiously avoiding her friends' eyes.

"And where the (unprintable word) do you think you're going?" Wrinkler said to Lightfinger, who was shuffling towards the door, his face pink.

"Where's Nick?" Ward said.

"Business," Wrinkler snapped.

"We gotta see him."

"Won't find him."

"Know where he is?"

"Maybe."

"You don't know anythink," Mildew said.

"Hear that Lightie? We don't know anything. What's up with you anyway, Lightie?"

"Never mind him," Ward said. He stepped towards Wrinkler and lowered his voice. "Flip, this is important."

The grin fell from Wrinkler's face. "Dunno where he is."

"When'd he leave?"

"Hour ago maybe. Said he'd be back at dawn. No point trying to find him if he doesn't want to be found. Why don't you go get some grub – dinner's just about on – and some sleep, then go see him in the morning?"

Ward turned to Lightfinger. "Did you give it to him?"

The boy nodded without looking up from the floor.

"Give what to him?" Wrinkler said.

They all ignored him.

Ward wanted to say something reassuring to Lightfinger, but the boy fled the room before he could think of anything.

Mildew took Carmen's hand. "Come on, I'll show you the dorm."

"We're staying here?"

"Might's well."

Wrinkler watched the girls suspiciously for a moment, gave Ward a withering look, then left the room.

"Come on Slops," Ward said. "I'll show you the dorm later – let's go eat."

Slops took a last nervous glance at the doorway through which Carmen, Mildew, and Grim had disappeared, then followed Ward out of the room.

Behold the field in which I grow my unprintable words, and thou shalt see that it is verdant.