Chapter 10.2

She said nothing. Far away a bird sang and a costermonger bellowed. Even Mildew was watching her now. "I don't know," she said. "The Brotherhood'll hold it against us whether we find it or not – whether it works or not. And if it does? But I think I trust you." Her face coloured.

The other three were still watching her.

"That's a yes," she said.

Ward and Slops laughed, and the tension in the air seemed to evaporate. Suddenly Ward knew where to start. "We know where the avory came from. David Nassar. And I happen to know who David Nassar is."

Carmen looked up, her eyes bright.

"I thought I'd heard the name before," he went on. "Then last night I remembered. Nick told me himself. David Nassar was the sorcerer who escaped the Derricks."

"When the birds flew away with him," Slops said. "I know that one! But that was -"

"Four hundred years ago."

"Then how could he've given it to my grandpere?" Carmen said.

"Your grandparents weren't born four hundred years ago by any chance?" Ward said.

"So either there's some other David Nassar," Mildew said, "Like maybe the ascendant of this wizard cove, or your grandmere's got snokeys in the attic. Or she's lying." She put a slight emphasis on the last word.

"Who could we ask?" Ward said.

"My parents," Slops said. "They wouldn't care why I was asking."

"Mine would," Carmen said gloomily. "But there's someone who'd definitely know."

They all looked up at her.

"Corvus."

Mildew laughed. "Why don't we ask Brother Tamerlane while we're at it?"

"Carmen, Corvus was going to hand me over to the Brotherhood," Ward said.

"Was he though?" Carmen said.

"Well I – oh wait, I know exactly who to ask! Why didn't I think of it before?"

I'm a sorcerer. Made passata only yesterday.

Here all night folks.