Chapter 15.5

"I can only conclude," Snapper said, "that the accused have to be tried for different crimes. And as they've already been convicted of just about every -"

"But that's not the Brotherhood's concern," Tamerlane broke in. "We have no more than a ceremonial role in bringing felons to justice. I recommend you direct your questions to the Honourable Vernon Dervish."

The winning smile had been slowly fading from Dervish's face. Now it vanished altogether. He pointed at his chest and mouthed something at Tamerlane, who ignored him, rose from the bench, and glided away with his fellows to the black coach.

"Your Honour?" Grandmere said.

"We will need time to – to fully investigate the – but do you expect me to make a decision right now?"

"Of course not," said Grandmere. "But until such time as the State charges Mr and Mrs Carmichael with new crimes, they are by law free, are they not?"

Dervish spluttered something that sounded like "wally withers." Before he could expand on this however, he was interrupted by one of the guano-stained Reds, who had pushed through the crowd to him. "Sir!"

Dervish ignored him.

The Red took hold of his arm and tugged it. Several people gasped. Such impropriety could have landed the man five years in the Western Marches. "Sir! Parliament is on fire!"

That did it. The mind of Dervish was not built for five-hundred year old laws and questions of judicial responsibility. A fire now – that was something he could grasp. A fire! Parliament was on fire!

He sent forth a rallying cry and the Reds rushed to him. They bustled into his magnificent coach. In moments it had hurtled away upriver. The Carmichaels, the nooses still fastened about their necks, stared as it vanished up Flynn Street. In less than a minute it was gone.

The rain grew heavier. As if suddenly noticing they were soaked to the skin, the crowd began to filter off towards the street. The Blankets slunk dejectedly away, Mr Blanket's arms cast protectively about his young like the wings of an abnormally large and besuited gander, Mrs Blanket drifting along beside him looking shell-shocked. The executioner had vanished.

Someone cut the nooses from the Carmichaels' necks. Carmen let out a small cry and threw herself into her parents' arms. Grandmere Anna sat in her chair watching it all with a wide wrinkled smile.

Ward raced up to the scaffold. Slops beamed at him. Carmen hugged him, her face streaked with tears. Snapper took his hand and pumped it wildly. The rain was falling in sheets now, and it was difficult to see anything beyond the scaffold, but nobody cared.

"Wally withers."  The Hon. Vernon Dervish Esq.