Door 3 - Chapter 31 - Positive

Start from the beginning

"Really dedicated to your work, I see." He commented when it seemed that she didn't intend to leave.

"Never you mind," she snapped at him from the window where she allowed the sun rays to hit her pale face. She did look overworked, her features gaunt. Although to Harris, they resembled someone defeated rather than tired. Still, his sympathies remained limited.

"I have a few patients calling in, will you be around?" It wasn't a remark, it was a question. She did still regard him as a threat.

"That's for me to decide." He imitated his best intimidating face while relaxing in his chair.

"Well, don't be intrusive. I have a job to do."

"I should hope so." Harris's eyes shifted to the plaque she had left exposed on the table, having slept with it in her hands. Immediately, Dr. Roslin hastened and picked it up. Noticing Harris's comprehension, she attempted to pass it off nonchalantly.

"This should confirm any doubts you might have." She showed her title inscribed on the plaque to him.

"I don't know, I can't really see what with the 'Doctor' part faded away." He said. "But then again, it's pretty appropriate, don't you think?"

Dr. Roslin didn't have any retort for that and silently slid the plaque into her drawer. For the next couple of hours, Harris lurked around the room, patients entered and he remained unmoving, as Dr. Roslin came up with excuses for his presence. A few times, unable to control himself, he even slandered her as she diagnosed the patients. One particularly nervous man abandoned the diagnosis and fled after hearing Harris imply Dr. Roslin's degree was fake.

"You cannot interfere with my job." She outraged. "This is a serious misdemeanor you are displaying. I can throw you into court for it."

"Misdemeanor? What about negligence or fraud or even malpractice? I think those will look better, plus you and I both will have charges against us, so we can be like court buddies." He threatened her sardonically. Dr. Roslin's facial muscles twitched despite her steely eyes resting firmly on him. He was sure she had no move up her sleeve.

"Here we are-" The nurse entered to find them in a staring contest. She held a file in her hand that Harris was certain held his fate. He broke his resolve while Dr. Roslin accepted it from the nurse.

"I'll have that." He jumped up, snatching the file away. "You can leave." He added to the perplexed nurse who looked at Dr. Roslin for an explanation; however, she simply nodded to dismiss her.

Harris's hands trembled in spite of him having been prepared for this moment. He opened the file to find a page detailing all the tests carried out. He understood barely anything other than the words stamped in large red letters. Positive. 

His breath quivered as his mind processed the information. Harris took a moment. His head felt as if it had been rammed hard against a metal pole. He threw the file at the desk.

"You mind deciphering that?" His voice shook as he attempted to remain taut.

Dr. Roslin took a brief glance before her expression changed as well. She dropped the file, her hand still in midair, and her mouth opened, resembling someone pausing in the middle of a speech. She collapsed on the chair staring into space, no doubt processing the information like Harris.

The suspense, though, was torturous.

"Say it." He commanded. "I have to hear you say it."

Dr. Roslin looked at him, white as death.

"I'm... I'm sorry." She mouthed. "...I didn't think you really had..."

"Cancer?"

Dr. Roslin flushed in shock, her eyes wide. Unexpectedly, she picked herself up and began pacing the room. Harris was unsure whether to interrupt, it seemed as if she was doing some careful thinking. She turned to him.

"How did you know?"

"Does it matter?" He didn't have the fire in him now to put up an accusatory demeanor, his insides were burning up enough at the moment.

"I was so sure." She paced again, picking up the file repeatedly to confirm the diagnosis. "You haven't tampered with anything, have you?"

"I don't think I'm narcissistic enough to do that." He snapped, his anger returning.

"This can't be possible." She paced even faster. "I would've seen it."

"Maybe you were too busy with something else." He implied toward her psychiatric evaluations of him. "Parent issues, maybe?"

"I never let anyone know-" She blurted out before stopping in her tracks. "How do you know?"

And somehow she looked even more nervous since the revelation of the diagnosis. Looking heavily guarded, her expression similar to a child whose secret was about to be revealed.

"The file I took last night."

Again unexpectedly, her expression shifted. To relief this time, or so it seemed to him.

"Don't worry about that." She breathed. "I assure you it will be all right."

But it was hard to believe her considering how jaded she looked. Also, there was the fact that she had assured him once before...

"How?" He asked hungrily, things were different this time after all, so there could be a chance.

"I will- I will figure something out. Just give me some time."

"Where are you going?" He asked in surprise as he saw her grab her purse in hurry and move past him toward the door.

"I just need some time." She repeated, not meeting his eyes. He had the urge to seize her by the arm and force her to talk to him. But there was such desperation on her face that it didn't seem worth it.

"Doctor." He called behind as she made to leave. He, meanwhile, faced the window. And he was sure the emotion had spilled into his words despite trying as hard as he could to prevent that. "You will help me, won't you?"

Harris didn't turn to face her but a sharp swishing sound indicated Dr. Roslin had.

"I will." Her voice reached him. Perhaps it was simply him misinterpreting her tone but he felt she had been successful in suppressing her true emotions when she replied, calm and assuring as the door closed with a snap.

Harris wanted to believe, but it wasn't easy when he could see the one person who could help was hurrying away in the distance from the window he stood at.