11. BOARD OF DIRECTOR'S (edited)

Felix's POV

I sat in my office, unable to concentrate on any of the case files placed on my desk. Cindy was constantly on my mind. Every time I looked up and everywhere I went, she was there.

I feared for her. What if she had more nightmares and I was not there to hold her in my arms? I have always been a brave person, but this morning I slowly got off the couch and left her room. I got into my room, took the quickest shower in my life and left for work. I arrived two hours earlier than I normally would, but still I could not work.

My phone rang and I silently hoped that it was Cindy, but no, it was my mother.

"Good morning mother" I greeted her, even though she was the last person I wanted to talk to and it seemed as though she caught onto my disappointment.

"Good morning son, well you do not sound so excited to speak to me" My mother told me.

"Mother I'm busy, so could you please get to the point" I told my mother.

"I was just calling to remind you about the party in three weeks' time, you did not forget, did you?" My mother asked me.

Shit I totally forgot about the party. I thought to myself.

"No! How could I forget mother" I lied to her, that way she would feel much better.

"Well that's good. Don't forget you can bring any female partner along" I rolled my eye's, knowing exactly what she meant. It was either I brought a girlfriend along with me or my mother would get one of her friend's daughters to haul me over, in the hopes of me marrying one of them.

"Yes mother goodbye"

I placed my cellphone down onto my desk and thought about what my mother had said. I could not find any girl that I was willing to take to my mother's party. All the girls I had thought of taking were trying to get into my bed, trying to become my wife or just simply looking for some extra cash from me.

What about Cindy? I thought about it and it made sense.

"Dammit!"

I slammed my fist against my desk, frustrated that she had become the center of my thoughts. I paced up and down my office talking to myself, asking myself questions that I immediately knew the answers to.

"Just think about it, how would you ask her and would she say yes or—"

"You are so weird Felix" I quickly turned around only to face my friend Kyle, who stood at my door. I felt embarrassed that my best friend caught me in my office talking to myself, like some mad man.

"Kyle we need to talk" I tried my best to compose myself and keep my anger in check so much that Kyle himself had noticed and quickly without asking more questions, made his way to the seat and sat down. Like a soldier, I marched my way to my office chair and sat down.

"I have a feeling that this has nothing to do with you wanting to borrow me money" I gave him an evil glare, indicating that I had no time for his shenanigans.

"I called you here because I need to ask you about Cindy"

"And what would that question be?"

"I want to know who sold her to you, where you brought her at, where she's from and how they treated her? I want to know everything there is to know about her"

Kyle's eyebrows raised hiss and he broke into a smile.

"You're kidding right?" He asked me. I slowly stood up from my chair and looked at Kyle straight in the eyes from across my desk.

"Do I look or sound like I'm joking with you? If you don't tell me Kyle I'll hurt you"

"I seriously can't believe this; you're ruining our friendship over some slave girl—" Before Kyle could finish his sentence; I had grabbed him by his collar and pulled him towards me.

"Don't you ever call her a slave again, her name is Cindy" I warned him. I let Kyle's collar go and pushed him back onto the chair. I watched as he straightened his already wrinkled shirt. Looking at Kyle in the eyes, I was truly ashamed that he was my friend.

"So Felix does this mean that you're not going to borrow me the money?" Kyle's question was all it to make me lose my mind even further, because I could not take it.

"Get out!" I yelled at Kyle.

"Seriously Felix, you're kicking me out of your office, because of some girl that I brought you!"

"Kyle I'm warning you. Do not ever speak about Cindy like that; if you ever do that Kyle, I will throw our friendship out the window! ".

Kyle stood up from his chair and raised both his hands in the air with a mocking expression sprawled over his face.

"So you're not going to borrow me the money then?"

"No Kyle, I am not going to borrow you the money" I told him and this time I knew I would not speak to the board of directors on his behalf.

Kyle placed both his hands inside his pockets, looked down at his shoes, and then back at me.

"So care to tell me why you're not giving me the money?"

"Board of directors refused to borrow you anymore money. You have to remember that I not only borrowed you the money, but rather I invested in your restaurant and so far I had not gained any profits from your business"

"But you're my friend!" He tried to wiggle his way out of this.

"I'm afraid I can't. I not only borrowed you money more than once but I also borrowed you millions of dollars"

"But I invested it all in the restaurant!" I looked at Kyle and I have to say, I was ashamed that I called him my friend, my best friend.

"Are you sure you invested all the money I gave you into the restaurant?" Kyle stared at me with a hurtful expression clouding his face but I was not fooled any longer. Deep down, I knew him better than I did before.

"What? Do you seriously doubt me?" Kyle asked me, I stayed silent and I refused to answer any more of his foolish questions, from the look of it Kyle did not take to kindly to the silent treatment.

"Felix you're my best friend and you're the boss. Go and tell that board of directors off!"

"I'm sorry Kyle but I can't and I will not convince them to change their minds about anything. If you had actually put that money into the restaurant like you were supposed to, maybe you wouldn't have ended up almost broke"

"But I did pour every single penny into the restaurant!"

"No Kyle, you spent it gambling and buying all those pretty girls expensive jewelries. I know Kyle, so do not dare say that you did not do it!"

Kyle ran his hands through his messy hair for the zenith time. He paced up and down my office and halted in front of me.

"You know what Felix, fuck you! I said fuck you!" I took a step towards Kyle, making sure to look at him cold dead in the eyes.

"No thanks. I have had enough fucking in my lifetime and I am not interested any longer. There is the door; with all due respect, you may now leave my office"

Kyle huffed one last time and exited my office, not forgetting to slam the door behind him.

I felt terrible that I had to kick my best friend out. I felt even worse that I could not finance his business any longer. I could not do anything, the board of directors refused to give him more money since the business has not been making any money.

To make matters worse, they took it upon themselves to hire a detective to snoop some dirt on Kyle. They did in fact find that Kyle had not invested a dime into his restaurant; instead, he was seen around casinos betting millions, obviously losing more than he gained.

You are doing the right thing Felix.

Just by thinking that, I really hoped that I was doing the right thing. I did not want to be the one that fed his addiction even further and drowned him into gambling any further than he was already in.