24. WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN (edited)

Cindy's POV

I paced up and down the living room, because I could not contain the feeling inside my stomach, I was nervous. There were days when I would work for hours and time did not seem to go fast enough but today time sped. It was already afternoon, the day of the party. I was waiting for Felix to arrive and tell me that he changed his mind or that the party was canceled, any reason not to go to the party was good enough.

I heard sound of a loud roaring engine and I rushed to the window to see who it was, and it was Felix. Of course, I did not have to look out the window; I already familiarized myself with the sound of his engine.

I jumped up when I heard the door unlock, waiting for him to enter.

"Cindy!"

"I'm here Mr. Felix, in the living room!" He poked his head through the entrance and smiled at me.

Damn it! such a perfect smile.

"Good day Cindy, I almost thought that you had gone out somewhere"

"No. Why would you think that?" I asked him, wondering what he really thought of me.

"Well the house sounded much too quiet, so much that you could hear a pin drop" I smiled at him and I went back to cleaning the window, leaving the awkward silence in the air.

"I hope you aren't having second thoughts about this party?" Mr. Felix asked me, sadness laced in his voice and the sad look on his face was evident of it too.

"No! Not at all, it's just that the day is going so quick, well too quick if I'm honest"

He dropped his bag onto the chair and walked up to me, so much that he was close enough to kiss me.

"Don't worry yourself, it will be okay"

"You don't sound too convinced"

"Well, my mother's parties are not exactly my sort of thing. I'm not one for caviar and overpriced wine—" he joked and I laughed, even though I have never had caviar or expensive wine before.

"But you have a collection of overpriced brandy" I reminded him. A small laugh escaped from his mouth as he ran his fingers through his hair and he just stared at me.

"Well looks like someone's been paying attention to the type of brandy I buy" I cracked another joke and I blushed at the thought of being caught out.

"Well it's either that or I die of boredom"

"Anyways, have you figured out what you are going to wear for tonight's party?"

"Well I brought this amazing black dress at the drift shop, I patched it up but I doubt anyone will notice it and I got these amazing flats at a bargain along with—"

"The drift shop? What happened to the designer dresses I brought you about a month ago?" Mr. Felix asked me, I was embarrassed.

"I thought that was your friend's dresses"

"The same friend who I told you repeatedly that I had made up just so that I could get you to accept the cloths that I brought for you" Mr. Felix reminded me.

"And I remember telling you that there was no way that I was going to accept expensive clothes from you. Let I remind you that some of those cloths will cost an average person an arm and a leg to afford"

"Cindy I admire your independence more than you would ever know, but how about you wear one of the designer dresses that I brought for you and in return you can do whatever you like with the rest" Mr. Felix promised me and for some reason I felt assured.