35. TRIAL BEGINS (edited)

Cindy's POV

3 weeks later

I stared at myself in the mirror, and I couldn't control my tears. I was at home while my husband was about to get dragged into court, stripped of his confidence, all because a bunch of heartless human beings decided to make up lies.

The thought of dragging myself to court killed me, but I was stunned by the knock at the door.

"Come in."

It was my mother-in-law. She's been staying with me for the past 2 weeks now. We ate in silence, and we comforted one another. We switched the TV off when nasty things were being said about Felix. The news no longer portrayed him as an honest lawyer but as a human trafficker and fraudster who abused his contacts to bring in an illegal immigrant to America.

They didn't know Felix like I did. The patient man who loves me Will take off the clothes on his back and give them to me.

"Hey dear, are you ready to go now?"

"Yes, mom, you know he didn't do it."

I told her just as she was about to exit. She turned to face me, and a weak smile appeared on her face.

"I know he was part of it, but I know that he was not the mastermind of it all. And I'm not just saying this because he's my son."

"I'm sorry. In fact, Felix and I are sorry for lying to you and your father-in-law. We shouldn't have."

"It's okay, Cindy. Look here, my dear. I might be conceited and always in my own world, but I'm not stupid. From the moment I visited this house and you disguised yourself as a maid, I knew that my son loved you."

"How did you know that?"

She drew me close to herself, and we both sat on the edge of my bed.

"My son is a very private man, and when I saw you, I knew you were the one. And he further confirmed my suspicion when he brought you to the party and claimed you were someone else. My son doesn't lie, no matter what, and I know he would love it if he went to all the lengths to cover up for you.

Now let's go and get this over with; your husband would have loved to see you, put a smile on that face, and be strong for him".

***
2 hours later *

Everything was a blur; I didn't pay attention to the lawyers or the judge walking in; all I could think about was where my husband was.

He came from the room in the back, and inmy heart gripped tight in my che . The lack of confidence in him showed, his beard, which hasn't been shaved, and the loss of weight.

They brought him in with his cuffs still on his hands, and you couldn't bear to look at Felix looking so helpless.

It was ironic how the lawyer who stood on the same spot questioned criminals, and now he was at the mercy of the judge.

The cuffs were removed from his hands, and he looked back, his eyes locking into mine, who sat far behind. I wanted to touch him and hold him, but he looked so fragile that a part of me thought he'd break in my hands if I held him.

He smiled at me, but I knew that was just to reassure me. The smile didn't reach his eyes. I didn't smile back; I was done pretending that everything was alright.

I wasn't! I haven't held my husband in 3 weeks since he was arrested. There was no one to hold me when the nights got cold, no one to tell me that it was all going to be alright. Because now I know that nothing is alright.