34. IT HAS BEGUN (edited)

Felix's POV

1 day later

I sat in the visitation room, and not long after, Mike, my lawyer, walked in. In his business suit and suit case, he looked quite good, I must say. But not quite as good as me.

"Hi, Mr. Martini — I never thought I'd see you here, or on the other side of the table, for that matter."

I smiled at his joke. Not so long ago, the same young lawyer had shadowed me, learning from me how to get the truth out of the perpetrators. It's funny how now I have to depend on him to get me out of here.

"Nice to see you again, Mike. I hope I didn't interrupt you or inconvenience you."

"You're kidding me, right? You sponsored my education throughout law school; you trained me; and you still gave me a job in your firm."

"I don't want you to do this for me because of all that."

"It's okay, Mr. Martini." You don't have to get so sentimental. You're a good man, and I'll get you out of here." Mike pulled out a chair and sat opposite me. He placed his suit case on the table and brought out a few files.

"So, Mike, lay it all on me. What am I being charged for?"

"Well, fraud, harbouring an illegal migrant, human trafficking, kidnapping, and the list goes on. It's not looking good, sir, so that's why I need you to tell me the truth. Did you do all this?"

"Yes and no."

"I'm afraid I don't get you, Mr. Martini." Mike questioned Felix to gain clarity on the matter.

"Please just call me Felix, okay?" Look at it this way: does Cindy look unhappy to you?" Felix questioned Mike, and without thinking much about it, Mike answered.

"No, she actually looks happy every time I see the two of you together,but sir, the court doesn't care about that; there's a list of evidence piled up against you."

I placed my head in my hands. I couldn't believe it. Just yesterday, Cindy and I were happy,planning our lives together, and now it's all crashing down before my eyes.

"Do you have any idea who reported all this to the police?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you, sir."

"Who is it?"

"Well, it's Kyle and Sharen." Mike answered.

I slammed my fist against the table, which got me a warning from the police guard.

"Dammit! I should have known it was those two "

"Did you have any misunderstandings with those two?"

"Yeah, something like that."

"Well, let's just hope the world will believe that."

"Why are you saying that?"

"Let's just say that those two are riding the media waves looking all innocent. They are saying that you held Cindy hostage and threatened them if they told anyone," Mike explained, and that response alone left Felix thinking that the odds of him winning were severely reduced.

"So what do we do now?"

"Mr. Felix, you are a lawyer."

"Yes, I know I'm a lawyer, but at this point, I can't rely on myself."

"Sure sir. I have to leave now and prepare for your case."

I nodded at him, and he began packing his belongings and began to walk away.