30. WEDDING DAY (Edited)

Cindy's POV

"Where are Cindy's shoes? Why is it there in the first place?"

I heard my future mother-in-law yelling her lungs out, trying to get everything in order before we drove to the church. For some odd reason, the screaming, the makeup artist beautifying my face, and everyone running around did not bother me.

I was getting married—not tomorrow, not next month, but today. Having butterflies in my stomach did not come close. I felt like a large volcano erupted in my stomach, spilling lava everywhere—or was I overexaggerating a bit?

To make it worse, Felix was not here with me to hold my hand, as he has been doing for the past month. The awkwardness between us had disappeared. Somewhere between our truths that nobody else knew, the late-night movies, little kisses, and full-out sex between the sheets, we fell in love.

Felix, my Felix

He was obviously not at home. According to his mother, the groom and bride are not supposed to see each other the night before the wedding. I missed him already; we spoke on the phone last night, and he said some naughty things. I guess I bring that out in him.

I did not really have a bachelorette party, and neither did Felix have a bachelor party. I guess we both just wanted to enjoy ourselves over the phone without arriving drunk at the wedding or having drama.

The doors to my room burst open, and Felix's mother walked in while the makeup artist finished the final touches.

"Oh my word!"

I almost jumped out of my chair, assuming something bad had happened, but the tears in her eyes said it all; she was filled with emotions.

"A mother wants nothing more than to see her son happy and successful, and you, my dear, have done that for my son." My vision became blurry, and I realized that it was because of the tears in my eyes.

"Cindy, don't cry; otherwise, you'll ruin your makeup!" She warned me with a smile on her face while she wiped a tear from her eyes.

"We're done"

I stared at myself in the mirror, and I could not believe it—it was me. The same girl who had traveled thousands of Kilometers and been sold into slavery, the girl who was kept in captivity, passed from man to man, and here I am, marrying the best lawyer in the entire New York City.

A man who did not care about what happened to me; he did not discard me when I told him what those men did to me. Instead, he looked at me not with disgust or pity but with love in his eyes.

I took one final look at myself in the mirror, and there I knew: I was not that woman anymore. This was the new me, and I was going to embrace it.

"I'm ready"

"Good. Let's get your wedding dress on as soon as possible, because Felix is probably on his way to the church."

After all the dieting and exercise, my dress finally fit. No more stressing about how it was going to look, because it looked perfect. The glitter on the dress made me feel like a super star, and I was going to keep it that way.

Everyone was dressed, and makeup was fine and ready. We got to the limo and realized that someone was missing. I turned towards my future mother-in-law and Breyela, my other bridesmaid.

"Where's Sharon?"

''Oh, she told me to tell you that she will be driving to the church on her own," Breyela answered me. Poor girl; she did not know what type of evil Sharon was.

"And when exactly did she leave?"

"She left about fifteen minutes ago."

I took a deep breath, trying not to stress myself. After all, it was to be the happiest day of my life, and I was not going to let Sharon ruin it for me.