Chapter Five

Niall’s POV

I took a Gibson guitar from off the rack and settled on a stool in the back room. I strummed the strings individually, checking the sound and adjusting the pegs to tune it just right.

“Oi Niall, you got that Gibson ready? Customer is here.”

“Yeah man, just let me do a once-over real quick.” I looked over the frets, the neck, the base–pretty much everything really. I stood up and walked out, meeting the customer with shaking his hand.

“Here it is. She’s quite the beauty isn’t she?” I handed over the instrument to the man and his face lit up. “Wow, she sure is. How much again?”

“$2,349 on the dot. Think you can cover it?” The man chuckled and pulled out his wallet.

“Pretty damn good acoustic here. So yeah, why not.” I took the credit card from him and got everything worked out and paid for at the register.

“Have a nice day, and make sure to take care of her,” I called after his retreating form.

“Plan on it, and you have a nice day too.” I waved him goodbye and settled back in the chair.

–—–—–—–—–

The day went unfortunately slow, only about six people coming into the shop. Three just browsed around while the other three actually bought a guitar. I took my time to tune all the instruments in the shop and wiped them down. I played on the guitar I always brung with me to work for the rest of the day; learning new songs and playing old ones. I actually have wrote some songs, but they’re not that good. The cords and notes are fantastic, but the lyrics themselves are more or less shit.

When I was younger, sixteen/seventeen, I really wanted to pursue singing. I wanted to sell out stadiums, make albums, be on the Top Charts, but I never had the courage to go for it, really the time to either. I guess you can say that I’m still not very confident in my singing and song writing, (It’s pretty accurate to say so, to be honest).

“Niall, Niiiiiall. Earth to Niall!” I snapped out of my train of thought.

“Wha- Huh?” Rick, the manager, stood above me laughing. “The shop s’bout to close up. I mean, if you wanna stay here all night that’s cool with me but…” He trailed off with a smile.

“Oh sorry, just had some things on my mind.” I stood up and grabbed my bag, receiving an understanding pat on the back before I left through the shop doors.